Strings and Things

I love unexpected or random sounds which contrast or oppose a song’s melody line or riff; sometimes these are deliberate, sometimes perhaps accidental.  One sound I particularly enjoy is the noise made when a guitar player’s finger rubs along the string as they change notes or chords, and that’s why I prefer the Peel Sessions recording of ‘Moon’ by Microdisney.  It’s from their 1984 album, with the ironic if not downright sarcastic title, ‘Everybody is Fantastic’ and is a beguiling but simple song built upon a plodding drum machine pattern and a meandering riff. 

The Peel Session version opens with the sound of fingers and strings and randomly smatters the sound throughout the song.  It’s what brings me back to this song time and again.


Here's the Peel Session version of 'Moon' on YouTube:


Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Wednesday 26th July 2023

Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 21st August 2021

Tales From The Crypt - Tuesday 8th March 2022

Tales From The Crypt - Tuesday 14th June 2022

Tales From the Crypt - St. Valentine's Day (Monday 14th February 2022)