What's in a Name?

I’m always a little wary of bands that choose to name themselves after songs by bands with “cool” or “hip” critical credentials.  For that reason I’ve never taken the time to listen to bands like Death Cab for Cutie, Hunters and Collectors or Eric’s Trip to name but three: for the same reason I have ignored Spoon until now.


Turns out this is a prejudice I must reconsider: Spoon’s latest album ‘They Want My Soul’ is the sound of a band totally comfortable with their on song writing ability and willingness to experiment with their sound. The band, a five-piece, has a pretty traditional rock line-up - guitars, drums and keyboards – but on this album uses effects and treatments to get a more spacey sound that makes the fairly straightforward arrangements sound fresh.


Highlights of the album include the title track ‘They Want Your Soul’, and ‘Do You’ and ‘Inside out’.  

Take a listen to the title track on YouTube:


Or alternatively the whole album on Spotify...mmm much more satisfying:


Next post will probably be on Knifeworld - some bands are content to throw in in the kitchen sink, these guys won't stop short of the whole showroom...




Comments

Popular Posts

Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 21st August 2021

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Wednesday 26th July 2023

Tales From the Crypt - St. Valentine's Day (Monday 14th February 2022)

Tales From The Crypt - Monday 28th February 2022

Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 13th November 2021