Wounded Egos (Gaz Coombes (Solo), Sub89 Reading, 14th June 2019)


Gaz Coombes' career, post-Supergrass, has been on an upward trajectory over the past three or four years. Starting with debut solo album 'Here Come the Bombs', 2015's 'Matador' and most recently, last year's 'World's Strongest Man', his solo albums have been critically well-received and increasingly successful. The latter pair of albums have been especially good and so the chance to see Gaz solo, in a relatively small venue, was a chance not to be missed.

Before Gaz on stage, however, was support, Chris Simmons, a new name to me and one I thought I'd investigate via the medium of Spotify, ahead of the gig. In the cold light of recorded sound, I have to admit, I was kind of 'Meh' about his songs: there was something, but to be honest, there are probably even more identikit male singer-songwriters, aspiring to be the next Ed Sheeran (Lord, have mercy on my soul), than there are the female equivalent, and that is saying something. Now I'm not suggesting Chris wants to be the next Ed (Saints preserve us), though he is ginger (which made for one of the highlights of his set), but lyrically there was something a little deeper, more personal and more emotional than others of that ilk, so I'll not tar him with that same shit-encrusted brush. 

Whilst, as you might imagine from the above, I wasn't waiting to hear Chris with bated-breath, I did have an open mind, and, as it turned out, I was right to do so.  Live, Chris is an engaging and passionate performer, but also, one with humour and a clear understanding of the power of live music. His songs were well-received and sung and played with real fire at times. 

Chris was visibly moved after he performed 'The Deepest Wound', a song about the effect on him and his family of losing his brother back in 2015.  His intro to this song, and the others songs in his set showed his ability to engage the crowd.

One of the highlights of the set was the semi-serious (much as in the video below) song, which I think was titled 'Low Light', and which got both laughter and "aahs" from the audience.  Unfortunately the video below doesn't include his intro, but gives a flavour of the performance at least. (For accuracy's sake I should state that Chris did not have a cellist as accompaniment at Sub89)




Chris left the stage to well-deserved, hearty, applause.  One to keep an eye out for, I think.

At pretty much bang on the advertised start time of 9:30pm, the man everyone had come to see entered the stage to much applause.  Around the stage were a range of instruments, electric piano, three semi-acoustic guitars (?) and a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar electric guitar (I think - no doubt musician friends could correct me there 😉) ready for his set.  (There were also a bunch of electronic boxes on top of the keyboard, but I couldn't see them - though I was right at the front - but they certainly included a drum machine and various effects boxes) 

Gaz picked up a very battered and dirty-looking guitar and launched into 'Matador', from the album of the same name.



Next up was one of the set highlights, 'Wounded Ego', others being 'Shit (I've Done It Again)', 'Seven Walls', 'Oxygen Mask', and 'The Girl Who Fell To Earth'. All the performances were excellent, and I was constantly reminded  how strong a singer Gaz is, as well as how versatile a musician he is, and so set highlights are really my way of saying these are some of my favourite songs.

Like Chris, he had an easy way with the crowd and the song introductions and various other interjections added to the warmth of the performance.

A couple of shots from from the performance...






The encore began with single 'Walk the Walk', which was partly spoiled by some bloke talking loudly off to the left of the stage, which led Gaz to ask "could you shut the fuck up, please...I can hear you louder than I can hear my guitar", which got roars of approval from the audience. [Why go to gig and talk loudly throughout? There was a constant hubbub from the back of the hall I can't get my head round it...but let's save that thought for another day 😇)

Picking up the electric guitar, for only the second time in the set, Gaz's intro began "this is a song I wrote with some friends a few years back...", which was the cue for a crowd-pleasing rendition of 'Caught by the Fuzz', closing the evening to huge applause and cries for "more"...

Another good gig, the third in a week, I am spoiling myself...

Here's the set playlist, first on YouTube....and, yeah, you're right, I've chosen a few live versions rather than the studio ones, 'cos that way you get a better a feel for the gig...


...and also in Spotify form...


 

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020