Love, Poetry and Revolution - Tuesday 24th September 2024

It's taken a while to get this post going.  Sometimes it just doesn't want to flow and, whilst I think I have things to say, I can't quite find a coherent way to say it.

I have also been fairly busy socially, so I write less.  Life meanders on and I try to create ripples in the stream.

Son #1, his gf and I went to see the film 'Lee' about the American model turned war correspondent Lee Miller.  Kate Winslet is in the lead role and it is excellent as Lee.  One of the really enjoyable features of the film is the way that the action recreates (fairly naturally) some of the most iconic photographs she took during the war.  I've been aware of Lee Miller for a long time, though more because of her time as Man Ray's model and muse. This film redresses that balance.  She is also fascinating to me because she was part of the seismic cultural changes that emanated from Paris in the 1920s, especially the surrealist movement.  If there's any time and place in history I'd like to go back to it is the 1920s bohemian art/culture scene in Paris: so many greats were there, Picasso, James Joyce, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Jean Cocteau, Djuna Barnes, TS Eliot and many more.  Reminds me of the Woody Allen film with Owen Wilson. What's it called? Something about midnight? 'Midnight in Paris' (looked it up) - Love that film.  Back to 'Lee', it's a really good film, you should see it if you haven't.

We've also started watching 'Slow Horses' with  Gary Oldman. An excellent TV series, apparently based on some novels I'll never read, realistically.  I was pleased to see that one of the screenplay writers is Morwenna Banks. It's addictive. Another thing worth watching. Time, time, time.

Son #1 has returned to university and he goes with the best wishes and support of all of those who love him.

On the music front, I'm trialling TIDAL, intending to replace Qobuz.  Why's that, I hear you cry? There are two main reasons: it's got more of the weird music I like to stumble across courtesy of 'The Quietus'; it's five pounds a month cheaper for the family plan.  It's pretty much a done deal. Just got to get my sons to copy their playlists across.

Earlier this week I went to a school reunion. The fiftieth anniversary for some. Just shy of 40 people attended, with people over from America, Australia and France.  Bloody marvellous. The venue was great, and so was the food they supplied. Originally we had planned to be in a marquee outside, but thankfully the manager moved us inside and allowed us to wow everyone (???) with a specially curated playlist covering the school years.  There was only one downside to the event. I didn't get to speak to some people as much as I'd liked to.  Save that for the seventy-fifth reunion.

I've heard quite a lot of new, 'out-there' music recently, so choosing something is tricky.  It's strange how you can hearing nothing new and exciting for ages, and then a bus convoy comes along.

Tirikilatops /  '(Every Colour) TOMATO (is still tomato)'  / (Single) 


[[Not strictly new, but I've never heard it until now.  Suitably crazy!]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Friday 11th October 2024

Takes From The Crypt - Tuesday 28th December 2021

Lockdown Diary - Sunday 20th December 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 12th March and Sunday 13th March 2022

Todd Rundgren ‘State’ Tour – O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire 15th Jun 2013