Natalie Prass versus Napalm Death


In order to keep up with the stream of new albums so far this year I recently listened to Natalie Prass and Napalm Death whilst carrying some “brain-largely-not-required” chores.  One thing I generally find difficult is multi-tasking where music is concerned. Very rapidly music gains my full attention and then spreads its tendrils to the pleasure and motor centres of my brain, but the chores were simple enough that the music remained to the fore and the jobs got done. Enough on the idiosyncrasies of my wiring…

So, Natalie and the ‘Death – quite a contrast – and not just because Nat’s (hope she doesn’t mind the undeserved familiarity) album is her debut whilst the Nap’s album is their nth – how did they fare I hear you cry?

Thanks to the glowing and unanimous praise heaped on ‘Natalie Prass’ – for example ‘a gem of a heartbreak album’ (Observer), 8/10 Uncut – it had to be worth a listen.  Sadly, it didn’t live up to my expectation based on the reviews: the musical settings are fine, the words seem to express the sentiments well, but I really couldn’t get to grips with her voice.  Her singing just doesn’t convey the emotion of the words she’s singing – which is kinda strange since she wrote the songs as a chronicle of a break up.  It’s not even that she has an Ice Queen style of delivery, like say Sarah Nixey who can convey emotion through phrasing of words and the almost glacial absence of emotion in her voice. The final insult is the Disney-like closer ‘It is You’: it really is not! Musical-style numbers are the last straw! I should probably let it go, but the album really hasn’t hit the spot for me yet. 

No need to worry about the singing with Napalm Death on ‘Apex Predator – Easy Meat’.  Does the barking/snarling/shouting convey emotion? You bet it does! These guys are angry and they want you to know why. Which is a bit of a shame since the titles are often the only words you can make out – though song titles like ‘Metaphorically Screw You’, ‘Dear Slum Landlord…’ and ‘Cesspits’ ensure you have a pretty good idea of the points being made. Frivolity aside it’s not a bad album – I’d certainly take this over Natalie’s album – but the tracks that hit home most like ‘How the Years Condemn’, ‘Dear Slum Landlord’ and ‘Stubborn Stains’ (the latter of which was a timely accompaniment to one of the chores) were outnumbered by the ones that I couldn’t engage with.  So, overall I quite liked it, I could listen to it, but my music library doesn’t need it and I don’t think I’d rush out to see them live.  Unless it was a mercy mission to hand out throat lozenges to the singer…

Make up your own mind - here's a track from each:

Natalie...

 

...followed by Napalm Death
 

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020