Love, Poetry and Revolution - Saturday 20th April 2023

Today looks a little more Spring-like - it's less cloudy, there's been some sunshine and so far, no rain. As the woman on the bread stall said earlier, it is a bit fresh though. I'm gradually switching over to wearing T-shirts, in a bid to either encourage a change in the weather or become as tough as a Geordie - whichever comes first.  There is a third option, but we'll ignore that for now. It's Syd Barrett/'Have You Got It Yet?' if you're asking.

I think I will be having a quiet Saturday, apart from the usual things that Saturday entails.  It is Record Store Day today, but as I'm trying to break away from physical media, then I'm just letting it happen. I'm still not convinced about the vinyl solution, apart from the aesthetics of the sleeve. Musically, I'm heading for the High-Res saloon.

This week, I have mostly been listening to the new albums by The High Llamas ('Hey Panda') and Julia Holter ('Something In The Room She Moves') as well as catching up, via BBC Sounds, on the 'Freak Zone'.  Both albums are packed with luscious sounds and vocals with very modern production techniques.  'Hey Panda' is the best thing Sean (and the band) has done (it's also the first thing after an 8-year gap) and features guest vocalists (including his daughter Livvy).   Every time I listen to it I discover something new. That's the definition of a great album or one of them.  Julia's album is also a delight, with her gorgeous vocals to the fore.  Love them both. I suspect both will feature here again.

I returned home from Liverpool on Thursday, after the best part of a week with Q. On Thursday evening Q was off out for a meal to celebrate Irish independence, where she was lucky enough to sit with Daniel Mulhall, former Irish ambassador to the USA, but more importantly author of the excellent book, 'Ulysses: A Reader's Odyssey', a book I have a copy of, you may be surprised to learn.  The subject of 'Ulysses' naturally came up in the conversation. Wish I'd been there. For two reasons.

On Friday Q flew to Amsterdam, initially for a visit to see Φ, who has moved there. From Amsterdam, she's heading to Sweden to attend a conference, before returning via Amsterdam in a week or so. It's all very exciting. I am hoping that I'll be visiting Amsterdam once or twice before the year is out.

On the home front, E's health is on a bit of a rollercoaster, though hopefully, for everyone's sake, still heading towards the finish.  It is so hard to tell, and, to be honest, unless I see a drastic change, I'm assuming it's transient and part of the rollercoaster journey that never ends.  I'm gradually adopting an 'every day is a special day' mindset and moving away from the idea of saving things for special occasions. Life, as lived from day to day, is a special occasion. I have become more fragrant. (CK/CD)

I have started decluttering and selling clothes, books and DVDs, with electronics being the latest addition to the virtual market stall.  There is so much to dispose of, but I have a plan.  There are a few more electronic items I would like to dispose of but I am moving towards getting rid of unwanted Folio Society books. I'm taking serious stock of what books I am likely to read and using a set of rules (flexible) to decide what goes and what stays. Eventually, there may be more space.

I am getting hungry, so I think it's time to make lunch. Ciao/chow.

Club Kuru /  'Gone Like A Flower'  / (Single)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Saturday 27th April 2024

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 26th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 22nd June 2021

Lockdown Diary - Sunday 16th August 2020