There Is A War Going On


There is a war going on. I can't seem to find a way to write about it in language that I feel comfortable with. It either comes out as a load of (ultimately meaningless) metaphors, cliches and over worn phrases or else it's just way too personal.  Stuff there is no one i can talk to about. At the moment. Or maybe ever could be. This has prevented me writing a post for several days.

Day to day it can be a struggle: I have worked out that except when I am asleep or I am so overwhelmed with work that it consumes every spare cycle my brain has at its disposal (and even then "it" manages, on occasion, to hijack a thread that's not fully utilised)... only at those times can I be assured of any kind of peace. And I don't want work to have that power. Been there. Done that. Have no desire to go back there again.

So it is with music that freedom comes. Not always. Sometimes music doesn't have the power to take over rather it just ends up reflecting or reinforcing the void within. Not sure what category this song fits in to.

Mercury Rev came to my attention again recently because they are about to release a new album, more or less a cover of Bobbie Gentry's album 'The Delta Sweete' (sic) which they have imaginatively titled 'Bobby Gentry's Delta Sweete Revisited'. The music is played by the band but the songs are all sung by guest female vocalists including Beth Orton, Laetitia Sadier, Norah Jones, and Hope Sandoval.  I may visit that album when it comes out in February and perhaps the original with a few words to say about Bobbie Gentry. We'll see.  

So this song is from the first Mercury Rev album I bought, 'All is Dream'. Another song for the times. It speaks for itself.

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020