Even if we are often led to desire through the sense of beauty can you say that the beautiful is what we desire?

[Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th November 2018]




It was inevitable that something from this album would appear here, I guess. 2018 seems to have been a bumper (heavy on the irony) year for albums which, by what can only be pure chance, seem to hold a mirror up to aspects of my life or the way I have been feeling for months.  Obvious choices that spring to mind are Low's 'Double Negative', Marianne Faithfull's 'Negative Capability' from which this comes and 'The Blue Hour' by Suede.  

There are upbeat songs and albums from this year that I have loved and still love too, but ultimately you have to accept you cannot hold back the tide. Had I tried, I would have been a latter day Canute, or at the very least, something  phonetically similar.

[Title of this post is a line from the play 'Exiles' by James Joyce]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020