Lockdown Diary - Saturday 16th January 2021

Back from another SAS-style shopping trip, almost under the cover of darkness. It was snowing earlier this morning and the remnants were still on my car when we left for the shops. The snow has turned to rain now though, so no chance of it settling. Son #2 joined me on the shopping trip and I found it especially frustrating having to let him do all the heavy lifting: I hate not being allowed to do things for myself.  Mind you by the time the shopping trip was over, I guess I'd been standing for a little over an hour, my abdomen was getting quite painful, and I was glad to sit in the car and drive home.

Getting the shopping out of the way early does open up the rest of the day to get stuff done, though mainly chores to start with.  I keep having to ask my sons to help with this and that, just to get things done, which means I can't do things at the pace I want to, damn it. I'm not good at being dependent on other people, but I guess I'd better get used to it for the moment. O Hernia, Hernia, wherefore art thou Hernia? (Hernia sounds like it should be the name of a Greek Goddess, perhaps the Goddess of painful swellings? Cue Frankie Howerd-style innuendo a la 'Up Pompeii!')

Much time spent doing things too boring to elaborate on until we got to lunch time (which was late, as usual).  Son #2 has decided to air fry some butternut squash and sweet potato in our new multi-function pressure cooker thingy - its first outing - so he worked out how to do out showing me as we went and also asking me if I agreed that's what the instructions meant.  

Mid-cook I'm interrupted by the phone ringing - it's my mother-in-law, phoning for a catch up.  This has become a regular feature of my life this past year and a bit and so I happily listen, occasionally interject or indicate my approval or agreement with appropriate sounds.  She always has a 'chat' (not sure what's the best word for a one way conversation) with her daughter, which is one of the best things about her calls.  I'm never sure how much my wife takes in as she rarely acknowledges much or even opens her eyes at times.  I just have to assume the words and deeds register and their intent is felt.

After the call I wolf down the seared, herbed and season crispy squash and sweet potato before heading out for a walk with son #2.

Back from the walk: we've done just shy of thirty minutes of brisk walking, encountering a couple of people we know en-route.  Towards the end of the walk my favourite Greek Goddess starts to make her presence known and I'm glad to get in and sit down. Well, sit down after I've hung some washing out to dry, an activity I get away with without anyone noticing. Ha!

Time to read the papers again. Highlights include a piece on Sleaford Mods (they're everywhere), some interesting books being reviewed and the usual slew of new things to do in order to stay sane in lock down. Too late!

I haven't listened properly to music in a while, but aim to rectify that.  I set the room and speakers up and crank up the volume to catch up on some of the albums Santa brought me.

It's that night again: son #3 chooses 'White Boy Rick' which stars Matthew McConaughy with appearances from old school actors like Bruce Dern and Piper Laurie (of 'Twin Peaks' fame).

I'd never heard of the film, and it's based on a true story of drug-dealing and trying to make a living in Detroit during the late 1980s.  Well worth watching and at the end you hear the voice of real Richard Wershe Jr. (the 'White Boy Rick' of the title) from prison.   

'For in that sleep of death what dreams may come'

Listened to all of Thurston Moore's double album 'By The Fire' earlier and am spoilt for choice.  Quite a few of the tracks clock in at over 10 minutes and the album is an exploration of what guitar-based music might be today, a little in the vein of the explorations that Bo Ningen undertook on their album last year.  Some of the tracks are redolent of Sonic Youth, others less so, though I guess many of the 'Youth's  albums were pretty experimental in the noise/drone space, so maybe less different than I think.  I've chosen something shorter and more direct from the album: this is 'Cantaloupe' 


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020