Lockdown Diary - Friday 19th June 2020

For the second day in a row, I awake to the sound of rain on my window.  Today is different, though, for two reasons.  It's my birthday for starters.  In addition it took me ages to get to sleep last night because of the infection, which was so uncomfortable that it took two paracetamol and two ibuprofen before I eventually surrendered to sleep.

The first person to wish me 'Happy Birthday' in person was the first carer of the day. After she left I got showered and dressed before calling the GP surgery. Phone was answered almost immediately, which was a nice surprise, and I arranged a call from my GP for later in in the morning, all before 8:30am!

Breakfast of porridge and fruit devoured, morning carers arrive as I'm drinking my coffee and surprise me with an unexpected birthday card (so much better than an unexpected item in the bagging area).  Whilst they are still here my GP calls and tells me she's already sent a prescription for antibiotics off to Boots and can I bring in a urine sample.  Equally well prepared, I had already taken the piss and bottled it ready for her call.  A quick trip out in the car to drop the sample off then back home to await ice cream, jelly and musical chairs.

Turns out that wasn't the plan. No ice cream. No jelly. Music but no chairs.

Ordered a takeaway meal from the local Italian restaurant for collection at 7:30pm and then settled down in the living room with my three sons for the present and card opening. As always my sons do a good job present selection and I had a wide variety of books, albums (on CD) and films.

We then moved to the dining room to open the card and presents from my wife  - technically they are from my sons by proxy - but we always try and involve her in all such occasions, even though I'm not sure she always understands what's going on. It is the thought that counts.

In the afternoon my 'big' sister called whilst I was meditating, necessitating me calling her back.  We chatted for a while and I thanked her for her presents too. 

One of my presents was the film 'Knives Out', so we planned to watch that in the evening, with the takeaway and a bottle of wine (another present from a good friend).

'Knives Out' was a fun detective murder mystery, with a neat little twist. It stars Daniel Craig and Jamie Lee Curtis, amongst others, and was an enjoyable couple of hours or so.  It's quite tongue in cheek and is no 'Citizen Kane', but fun, which is perfect for a  birthday, especially one without jelly and ice cream.

Foolishly, and I really don't know what came over me, I took a double-dose of the antibiotic after the meal.  As soon as I'd swallowed them, I thought, 'Oh, shit! I'm not supposed to do that!'  Quick bit of research on the NHS website and I discover I'm not going to die (well, OK, I am going to die, but not because of the antibiotics) - apparently the side-effects are amplified and you might get a rather bad stomach.  Which was good, because by the time I looked it up, my stomach was hurting, inexplicably. Except not inexplicably, as it turned out. I have to remind myself, 'tablets are not sweets'. I think it was just a case of my 'devil may care, live life on the edge' attitude getting the better of me - and after all, look at Keith Richards, he's still alive and has done far more risky things.  Danger? I laugh in your face!

Off to bed now!

Today's music choice was no choice, or rather it had already chosen itself. From the album 'Music Complete', this is New Order with 'Tutti Frutti'


[[There is a video that accompanies this song, however I always find it rather sad, so it's not here]]

[[“Old man with a young mind is much younger than the young man with an old mind!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan]]

[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021