Lockdown Diary - Friday 5th June 2020

Not such a lazy bastard after all! Started today with 31 minutes brisk walking, left before 6:30 and got back just after 7 before the first carer of the day arrived at eight minutes past.

Logged on the work laptop to double-check no one had put an 8am call in my diary, but luckily not, so I took my time getting ready.  Eating breakfast at my desk by 8:30, for another working day.

I seem to have spent several hours of today on work calls, which means the time has passed quickly, but also that I've not made the progress I'd intended.  It's approaching 5pm now and I'm thinking, 'Do I carry on and get more done, or do I just call it a day?' 

After a son and a carer read my article for National Carers Week I sent it off to my work contact. The final version was 1251 words long, after I edited the beginning, though when I finished I realised there was so much I'd left out.  The carer said I should write a book about it, as many people might find it helpful.  I dunno.  I could but I think it would be quite painful to tell the story of the last eleven years in detail, though admittedly I have probably learned some things that might help others in a similar boat. It'd just be yet another tale of misery interspersed with snippets of useful practical stuff. There are plenty enough of those.

After work was put away, I found myself in 1968 and 1969.  Not literally, of course, (though that would be one helluva post!), but musically. I found myself in the company of Colosseum, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, and Pete Brown & Piblokto! I didn't hear any of these albums at the time, in part because they are all outside the mainstream, though the Crazy World of Arthur Brown album did spawn the well-worn single, 'Fire', which everyone must have heard. Three (technically five) albums that were ground-breaking at the time.  One fun fact, pop-pickers, though Pete Brown is perhaps not so well known as a performer, he was a prolific lyric writer, and wrote lyrics for Cream, Jack Bruce's solo stuff, one track on the Colosseum album above (album being 'Valentyne Suite' (sic)) amongst many, but perhaps most recognisably he wrote the lyrics to Cream's hit 'Sunshine of Your Love'.

Once we had all gathered together we watched the last episode from season 1 of 'The End of the F***ing World', which was suitably messy, and the first episode of the second series, which promises more mayhem. I'm really enjoying the series - it's made me laugh out loud several times an episode, though it's perhaps not to everyone's taste.

Torn between Colosseum and Arthur Brown for today's song, but Colosseum wins by a whisker. From 'Valentyne Suite' (sic, still) this is 'Elegy' which has a suitably dark theme



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021