Lockdown Diary - Sunday 28th June 2020

After a lazy day yesterday, I have got to get a bunch of chores done today.  Before that, though, breakfast and organising Wednesday's shopping delivery.

Breakfast over and computer-based chores done, it's time to get things underway, starting with the washing.  This started a long list of things to get done, beginning in the kitchen.

At around 4:30 p.m. I got to the point where I'd had enough and started putting stuff away (vacuum cleaner, cleaning products, brain cell). Opened a bottle of wine and sat down to read today's paper.  I realised another reason why chores take so long: I'm constantly being interrupted by the carers coming to the house: it's often less than 2 hours between calls at weekends.  Don't get me wrong, we couldn't do without the carers, they make day-to-day life possible and do a fantastic job, but 5 times between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. they come to the house. Often this means I don't have a clear 2 hours to work on any job without interruption, and it also means that you tend to anticipate their arrival, but since times aren't fixed, if it's close to the typical arrival time, it's hard to start something when you know you'll have to stop almost immediately. This means there's a lot of wasted time or time that can only be used for short tasks.

We're also in the middle of an experiment to see if doing my wife's PEG feed during the day reduces the amount of coughing it causes, thereby improving her quality of life a little.  We've been doing it for over a week now and it seems to be working. This week we may start PEG feeding water overnight as well as when we did this during the changeover from night to day Ensure feed, it reduced the amount of sediment in her catheter.  I don't know why but the idea that something - Ensure or Water - will be pumped into her stomach almost 24 hours a day, doesn't seem quite right. We shall see tomorrow.

All the chores meant that I finished things late and, though I did read the Sunday paper, I still had some unfinished reading in Saturday's paper.  I caught up on some of it but by the time I'd sorted the partially dry washing (bloody rain showers), it was time to organise dinner.  

We watched another episode of 'Altered Carbon' then I did some clearing up, though most was done by son #1, and then prepared for sleep.

Bang up to date with a song from Drab City's recently released album, 'Good Songs for Bad People', this is 'Troubled Girl'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021