Lockdown Diary - Friday 5th February 2021

Friday comes around again, as it inevitably does, and with the same mundane regularity it's going to be another Friday dominated by work. The day will include some variation this week, though.  I have to go to the GP surgery to pick up a medical exemption certificate for my wife, fill out what I can, and then return to her GP for completion.

On my first trip to the surgery at around 9 a.m. the place is busy with people getting the Covid jab. I've not seen the place so full since February last year and my immediate response is to get the hell out of there as quick as possible - grab the form and go.

Quick trip over (I didn't even stop to buy a parking ticket, though at risk of getting one!), I return to work then for a series of back to back calls this morning.

I had a plan to return the form to the surgery after 1:45 p.m., but then someone decided to insert another meeting at 2 without warning.  I've decided it's now or never and reckon I can get to the surgery, hand over the forms and get back again in less than 10 minutes. Go!

When I got to the surgery it's deserted. The Covid desks nave gone and there's no one in reception.  I can see one of the receptionists out the back talking to someone.  She starts to come through the door, then turns back.  I'm thinking how can this take so long?   Finally she returns and I explain what's in the envelope.  She insists on opening and reading the letter and form.  I explain that I can't complete section 2 because it has to be signed by the patient (it says so in black and white!) and my wife can't write, hold a pen etc etc. In that event the GP has to complete it on the patient's behalf. Nevertheless she reads the blurb on the form and then concludes that what I've said is correct, and finally will accept the form and letter. At last I can leave and run back to the car and drive home.

I arrive at the meeting at 3 or 4 minutes past 2, how I got back in time (more or less) I do not know - it felt like I was in the surgery for 20 minutes or more.

More back-to-back work calls until I can finally get on with some actual work.

Late afternoon (or is it early evening?) son #2 drops by after his work to tell me that he's got the results of his blood test and has been prescribed folic acid, which we'll need to pick up from the pharmacy tomorrow, during our shopping run (which he's due to join me on).

Soon after the carers arrive for the final call of the day. I have some foot cream for the Thai twins that I've bought online via Etsy.  My older sister bought some stuff for my wife's birthday from The Soap & Soak Kitchen (on Etsy), who make products entirely from natural ingredients and which seem to be excellent for people with sensitive skin.  We found that the soap and foot cream were excellent and completely cleared up my wife's irritated skin within days of using it.  Everyone was so impressed with the foot cream in particular that they wanted some.  I bought them a jar each to start with as a thank you, but they insist on paying for it now, though I've asked them for less than it costs but don't tell them.

A while later I start cooking dinner - butternut squash casserole, a dish that requires 200 ml of red wine amongst a number of other ingredients. Naturally it's necessary to open a bottle of red wine for the 200 ml, now what to do with the rest of the bottle.  According to the recipe what doesn't go into the casserole should go in the cook - who am I to argue?

Once the majority of the dish is underway, I'm joined by son #3 who offers to help.  There are a couple of things he can do, so I let him do those while I clear up the mess.  The beauty of these one pot dishes is there's not much to clear up afterwards. 

Usual gathering around the camp fire (TV) and we break bread together and watch the final episode of series two of 'Mr. Robot'.

Time for bed said Zebedee. Boi-oi-oinngggg!

There is a school of thought that suggests that The Style Council was a misstep in Paul Weller's career, though I don't agree. I think The Jam had pretty much run its course when Paul Weller announced they were splitting, and though their final album ('The Gift') contained some great songs, it also showed signs of 'The Jam by numbers' and quite clearly Paul Weller wanted to go in a different direction. That direction being The Style Council, which built upon the souls and funk influences that had started to appear in later songs of The Jam.  From the album 'My Favourite Shop', this is 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' which seems as relevant now as it did then: same shit different leader. [D.C. Lee was very beautiful]


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020