Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 30th June 2020

Work again and up and out of bed early today despite another disturbed night of crazy dreams (this time I was back at University, though not the one I attended), and sitting at my desk eating breakfast and working by 8:15 a.m.  Not bad! Need to get up even earlier tomorrow for yoga.

Work has literally taken over the entire day apart from a brief interlude when I sent some jokes to a friend who wasn't feeling well. The jokes may well have made him feel worse, given some of the jokes I've been sharing lately.

One achievement of my day so far: I finished the third chapter of 'Ulysses', which means I am at the start of book II, and about to begin 'Calypso', which is where we meet Leopold Bloom, the second key character, after whom 'Bloomsday' is named. Having navigated the mental gymnastics of 'Proteus', we move into a chapter which has its feet more firmly in the physical world, and the realm of physical experiences.

No time for music in the evening, but straight into dinner, 'Altered Carbon', reading (the latest Idler magazine) and sleep.

Somehow this week I found myself listening to Zero 7 and their debut album, 'Simple Things'.  It was a toss up between this track, 'In The Waiting Line', and 'Destiny'. This one seems most apt.  Some people have said that nothing happens in Zero 7's music and, the first time you hear it you may feel that way, but after a few listens it opens up to you. Mostly the singers are perfectly expressive and on this one Sophie Barker wrings emotion out of the ennui.



[[Another interpretation of 'Not bad!' would be 'Crazy fool!'.  I think I know which is closer to the truth.]]

[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020