Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 15th July 2020

My first post since Sunday, when things began to go awry. 

I don't think I'll document all the details, but suffice it to say that the pain killers I've been taking have caused severe constipation. I didn't sleep at all Sunday night and was in agony for most of Monday, culminating in a call out to the out of hours GP who gave me an injection as pain killer / anti-inflammatory. Finally after taking various remedies including one whose effects the GP described as 'like dynamite', things began to move, painfully, mid-Tuesday afternoon. Today I feel much better, though I do now have the reverse problem, but, believe me, that's much better! Compared to the pain from the two operations, the pain I experienced on Monday night was off the scale.  I stopped taking the opiate-based pain killers on Sunday and prefer the any undimmed pain to the side effects.

During these three days in hell, my sons did a phenomenal job of looking after me, making up meds, bringing me water and calling out the out of hours GP.  I am a very lucky man.

Most of Sunday, all of Monday and most of Tuesday have been lost days.  Somehow in the midst of it all I finished two books, but otherwise I did nothing other than spend my time doubled-up over my bed. Last night I ate my first meal, which felt good. The boys and I watched another episode of 'Umbrella Academy' before tiredness kicked in and had to go to bed.

Today has felt like normality or at least something closer to it. I've written two book reviews. Watched an episode of 'South Park' with sons 2 and 3. I've also read some of 'The Code of the Woosters', by P.G. Wodehouse, which is an amusing comfort read, and will hopefully find time to listen to some music, something I really haven't felt able to do for a few days.

Unusually, I am going to post this on the day it's written, as opposed to the following morning - life has no plan, however much you try and impose order on it.

I keep hearing this record, at least three times in the last couple of weeks, despite it it being almost 20 years old. From the oft-unfairly maligned 'Shoegaze' genre (really? is that the best name you could think of? come on!) this is Pale Saints with 'Kinky Love' from the 'Flesh Balloon' EP. It has slowly insinuated its way into my heart and I have to play it again. 



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020