Lockdown Diary - Monday 20th July 2020

Today is the penultimate day of my post-operative recovery, all being well. At 8:30 tomorrow morning I have to return the the Urology Department at the hospital to discover if the operation was a success.  All being well, a few more tests and then I'm out of there, though they do advise you may have to stay until 3 p.m.

I want to make the most of the day, since - if all goes well - I'll be back to work on Wednesday, however the limitations placed on what I can do, make that difficult. One thing I do want to do is finish reading the 'Hades' chapter of 'Ulysses', so that'll be my first activity, post-breakfast.

Another limiting factor on what I can do is that I am required to drink at least 2 litres of fluid ahead of tomorrow's hospital appointments, as I have to be 'well hydrated'

Breakfast of porridge and coffee over, I've just finished reading to the end of 'Hades', ready to start on 'Aeolus' tomorrow.  One goal achieved. 

After doing a few minor chores around the house I decided to read this week's poem, by Lewis Carroll, another poem by Julia Copus, then more from the Hawkwind and P.G. Wodehouse books. Which reminds me: last week's poem was by Emily Bronte (of 'Wuthering Heights' fame), a surprisingly dark poem, titled, 'Fall, Leaves, Fall'.  I must find the time to investigate her other poems.  Here is the poem:

Fall, leaves, fall; die, flowers, away;
Lengthen night and shorten day;
Every leaf speaks bliss to me
Fluttering from the autumn tree.

I shall smile when wreaths of snow
Blossom where the rose should grow;
I shall sing when night’s decay
Ushers in a drearier day.

Late morning I got a message from my yoga teacher saying that the class were asking after me and that they sent their best wishes, which was heartwarming. Don't know how long before I'll be back, though I should have an idea after tomorrow. Hopefully soon.

Next thing I know the carers are here for the lunch call and, after chatting with them for a bit while they complete things for my wife, they leave.  Time for me to go and meditate for 20 minutes or so.

Lunch with the boys: chatted and watched another 'South Park' while we ate.

After lunch I thought it was time for music: started listening to yesterday's 'Freak Zone'. The most striking pieces so far have been the title track from David Axelrod's album 'Song Of Innocence' and something electronic from the rather cheekily named Lana Del Rabies. 

The sun is out so I'm going to sit out on the seat at the front of the house and read in the open air. That's what I need to do.

Far too quickly evening arrived and time to make dinner: son#2 at the helm again tonight.

After that we watched another episode of 'Umbrella Academy' before I began to get organised for tomorrow's hospital appointments.

Got this stuck in my mind, so this'll exorcise it: Once & Future Band, with 'Problem Addict' from their album 'Deleted Scenes'.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020