Lockdown Diary - Thursday 16th July 2020

Despite all my best efforts, in the world of digestion at least, things have still not returned to normal.  Things are way better than Monday, Tuesday, and even than yesterday, but not quite 'safe', if I can put it that way. Which I can, 'cos I'm the foolish fellow writing it!

Today, subject to unexpected urgent exits, stage left, has been spent trying to chill. Some things have had to be done: I had some additional washing to do; I've had to order some replacement pyjama shorts online - no further words needed; and also to play silly buggers on WhatsApp with my wife's Occupational Therapist, or OT for short. After all that she'll have to come out in person next week anyway, instead of today. For the sake of...

Been chatting online with an astronomer friend about the Neowise comet and also the observatory he's having built in his back garden.  If this skies are clear tonight I'll try and see if the comet is visible here - it would be great to see it!

Naturally, I have read some stuff. I've managed to read several pages of 'Ulysses', so clearly my concentration is up to scratch.  I continue to read 'The Code of The Woosters', though a little warily: if it makes me laugh out loud there may be unwanted consequences, thus I'm rationing it in small doses. As I was only reading three books, I figured I ought to start another, though this time non-fiction, and so I am now also reading 'Hawkwind: Days of the Underground - Radical Escapism in the Age Of Paranoia'.  A long title, and fairly long book, but so far, an interesting but easy read.

There's also been music - there's always music! Last night I listened to the latest Khruangbin album, 'Mordechai', and I was revisiting that earlier today. It's a really excellent album, developing their sound into a richer, yet still spacious, latin-tinged, cool funk.  As I type this I have last Sunday's 'Freak Zone' on in the background, though I'm stopping typing as something interesting has caught my attention.

Three tracks in a row I had to stop and listen to: Robert Wyatt; Nightports & Betamax; and finally, Black Widow.  [Useless fact: Black Widow alleged they were Satanists and their records and stage age were cloaked in occult imagery. Their drummer, Romeo Challenger, went on to become the drummer in atrocious abomination of a band, Showaddywaddy. That really is selling your soul to the devil!]

As with books, I have a backlog of music to listen to, including a new discovery this week of a, so far very enjoyable, compilation from the Phantasy record label, 'A Psychedelic Sensibility', only available via Bandcamp. Listen here if you're interested in taking a dip! Come on in! The water's lovely 💜

In less than an hour I'll be attending another 'Idler Drink With...', with this week's guest being Professor David Graeber, who recently published a book called 'Bullshit Jobs', and is an anthropologist and anarchist activist. Should be fun! Son #1 will also join me, as he has for the last several weeks.

Another thought-provoking Idler meeting: a great opening chat from Mark Vernon on William Blake's thoughts on time and his idea of four different types of time that can be experienced; then the main event, with David Graeber talking widely on Debt, Bullshit Jobs and anarchism, touching on life post-plague, money, and the climate crisis.  A great way to start an evening.

Son #2 took control of dinner and before I knew where we were, it was dinner and we were watching 'Umbrella Academy'.  We had a brief debate about what a song is versus a piece of music: I suggested that songs, by definition, have words (bird song aside) and thus the symphony son #1 said "I like that song" about, was a piece of music, but technically not a song.  My, what fun we have 😎

Inevitably it had to be Khruangbin's new album 'Mordechai'. I had intended to choose one of the more upbeat laid back (!?) funk numbers, but I am drawn to this song. 'Dearest Alfred', which is a little more thoughtful, perhaps.



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020