Lockdown Diary - Saturday 18th July 2020

Managed to get up before half-seven this morning, before the first carer of the day had left, though she did have to let herself in - I think she's got used to that over the past week and a bit, as I've been absolutely knackered.

Got showered after she left and had got dressed and made breakfast before the main carer call of the morning, just before 9 a.m.

I posted yesterday's blog entry then took a look at what today's shopping delivery included, whilst eating porridge and drinking coffee.  Bit of a shock when I checked it: out of four meals planned, precisely one was present, the rest unavailable with, incredibly, no substitutes, which never normally happens.

A fair bit of time was taken up working with the boys to get washing on then out on the line.

Took some time out to watch Mark Vernon of the Idler's video on Blake's fourfold vision - 'From Ulro to Eternity', which was interrupted by the arrival of a van on the drive.  Really good, but will need to watch it again as well as dipping into some Blake to get a good sense of this.

The shopping delivery arrived a bit early, not a problem since I'm going nowhere (fast).  Did register a complaint with the delivery guy, not with his delivery but with the order.  It was all very polite and he said he'd let them know back at the store when he returned. I thought that would be the last of it.  

Within the hour I got a call from the Manager of the local Waitrose store.  He asked me what the problem was with the order, which I explained in detail, and he then promised to try and get some replacements and get them out to us, today.  

In the meantime I went and did my daily meditation and sons 2 and 3 started making lunch, whilst I was meditating.

I joined them in the kitchen as we finished making lunch, interrupted by a ring on the door bell.  It was the store manager, with a bag of replacement shopping - no charge! Great service!

I started watching a documentary I recorded back in December whilst I ate. 'Searching for Sam' is the actor Adrian Dunbar's ('Line of Duty') investigation into the life of his hero, the author and playwright, Samuel Beckett. He's also one of the writers I most admire, second only to Joyce, probably. I guess Beckett is most well-known for his play, 'Waiting for Godot', though, for me it's his prose, especially the later, shorter, works like 'Company', 'Worstward Ho', and 'Ill Seen, Ill Said' that I admire and enjoy the most. There are great plays too: 'Happy Days', 'Krapp's Last Tape'. It was an enjoyable documentary, but probably 30 minutes too short. It reminds me I have James Knowlson's biography of Beckett sitting on a shelf, waiting to be read.  I must read it soon, though I probably ought to read Molloy and the rest of the trilogy first.

The sun is shining, so after clearing up lunch things, I decide to sit on the seat (with cushion) outside the front of the house, and read The Guardian (review section at least).  Glorious sunshine, beautiful intense blue sky combed with wisps of high-altitude Cirrus in mare's tail form. One of those moments where you feel absolutely alive in the natural World.

Sons 1 and 2 are off out to a friends house for food, drink in the afternoon, evening and night.  Son #2 leaves whilst I am outside, followed, about two hours later by son #1 (who had to shower and get ready first).

After reading it was time for music. It's a very dark day that doesn't involve some music, ideally just me and it, no other distractions.  This evening's choices are the rest of 'Magick Brother, Mystic Sister's recent album followed by most of Bananagun's recent debut album. Lost in music.

Son #3 and I are responsible for dinner tonight, which, breaking with tradition, will not be curry, that'll move to Sunday night 'cos the twins are out.

Son #3 chose the film 'Burn After Reading' which is a dark comedy starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, John Malkovitch, Brad Pitt and Frances Dormand. Technically we have watched it before, though I'd barely seen any of it due to falling asleep in it.  It didn't happen this time!  It's pretty good, and quite funny, especially if you have a dark sense of humour like me.

Possibly inspired by the film I posted on FB today as part of one of those chain '10 films that had an impact on me'-type thingies, I have chosen 'Undress Me Now' by Morcheeba from the album 'Charango'. Hmmm.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020