Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 23rd December 2020

Another day confined to barracks. I don't need to go out, other than for exercise, so the way things are (and I read that covid numbers locally continue to increase way too fast), I guess that's how it has to be.

As is my custom, I started the day with a yoga breathing session at 7 a.m., still one of the best ways to start a day, fully energising me for...the nothing that lies ahead.

It occurs to me that I don't feel in the Christmas spirit yet because I've not been in to an office with decorations and a tree (as I usually would have), nor have I visited (m)any shops(?) with Christmas music playing and people being generally 'festive'. I've been taking part in 'Whamageddon' (see here, if you're unfamiliar), which really hasn't been much of a challenge this year: I think I've only heard one Christmas song, so far, that being 'Christmas Wrapping' by The Waitresses. Assuming I don't put on the Christmas CDs until Christmas Day, then I don't think I'm going to have a job succeeding in my Whamageddon attempt (I know 'Last Christmas' is on the CDs!) this year. Ho! Ho! Ho!

I'm trying to arrange a call with a mate in Berlin but it looks like it's going to have to wait until next week, we're both busy at the wrong times. It's not urgent, just shooting the breeze, so no big deal, besides which I have a date with scissors, Sellotape and wrapping paper this afternoon!

Son #2 is still working, so lunch is made as a team but eaten separately as we each depart to our usual bolt holes.

I manage to keep myself busy with a variety of boring jobs that distract the brain cell and stave off the opportunity to stop, think, reflect and descend into the maelstrom. 

As much as I love buying gifts for the people in my life, I hate wrapping them.  It's not the effort, which is part of the joy of giving, it's that my wrapping never turns out as well as I want it to. My wife was so much better at it: we used to wrap presents together, she would wrap and I would be the Sellotape monkey. Worked well.  I'm sure it's a skill I could acquire, it's just that so far every attempt I make I always find that either the paper tears or the Sellotape sticks to itself or somewhere I don't want it to, or I cut too much paper or, even more annoyingly, too little. All presents should be cuboid in shape or at least come in boxes. 

Nevertheless despite these misgivings, I wrap everything and feel relieved when it's done.  Cards for my wife and the boys next.

All this consumes my time and I barely have a chance to descend as now son #3 has started making dinner.  I assist a little, but nothing else is required as he has it all under control.

Dinner. The final two episodes of 'The Madalorian'. Baby yoda indeed!!

For today's song I return to Fiona Apple's excellent album from earlier in the year, 'Fetch The Bolt Cutters'. This is 'I Want You To Love Me'.  An album that's a contender for my album of 2020, though there are a few albums still duking it out for that honour.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020