Tales From The Crypt - Sunday 3rd July 2022

I got plans, they're multiplying. Not really. I also dislike that song intensely, but that's another story that you'll be pleased to know I'll not be pursuing here. For another day, if ever.  I try not to rant about the things I don't like. Yeah, right!  I can do without the negativity at my age!! What's that phrase immortalised by Thumper (the rabbit) in 'Bambi': "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all." Shame about his Grandma, but you get the point.

OK, so we've established I don't have plans, but there are a few things I'd like to do today.

Not called up to appear on 'The Chain' on Radcliffe and Maconie's radio show. Never mind. Yesterday's song was 'Angel' by First Aid Kit (may appear here one day, I quite like it), so my choice was going to be 'Ambulance For One' by Microdisney, the connection being medical - first-aid to ambulance, obvs. Now I've chosen one song I'll probably start entering more regularly. As the actress...

After lunch, I attempted to change the other patio door lock. Turns out that the left-hand door is designed differently and the screw holding the lock in place is behind a long metal strip that forms the locking plate.  It may be possible to remove and replace that strip, I'm just concerned there may be a hidden mechanism I don't know about. I need to investigate. I'm not a locksmith!

Having failed at my first attempt at changing the other lock, I retreated to The Observer and read that instead.

My day has been interspersed with brief chats with Q. Her symptoms are increasing and the fever has still not subsided. Each day I hope she's turned a corner, but so far things don't seem to be improving.  Fingers crossed.

Before making dinner I decided to listen to music, starting with a just-released compilation, whose cover appears below.


I guess it's a dance music compilation, with slower numbers taking the tempo down to 98 b.p.m. after the headier rave tunes of the late 1980s.  It's a fun compilation which can't fail to get you dancing.

As you know, I love words and many of my favourite songs are favourites because of the lyrics, though of course, the setting is important too.  Oooh, I do love a good choon! (MP reference)

In contrast, a lot of dance tunes have a very limited number of words, repeated at regular intervals.  Despite my love of words, many of these tunes still work for me, much to the surprise of some.

One song to which this applies is 'Two Months Off' by Underworld. I sent the video of this to Q as it's a song I love a lot. It features, especially at the start, the repeated phrase 'You bring light in'. The response was something along the lines of 'for a man who loves words, you choose a lot of songs that don't have many!', said of course, with humour and also intended to take the p*ss. 

Exhibit A


It does indeed have a lot of repetitions of that phrase though after the 30 seconds or so the lyrics become more expansive and the intent clear. I love the whole song including the spoken word section around 2 minutes 20 seconds in.  Makes a neat story.

So, OK, how come?  Well, for me it is still about the words.  The phrase is key. Where the repeated line works best, is where the words resonate with me. They are impressionistic, like brush strokes conveying meaning. It's like a phrase repeated in a poem ('Rage, rage against the dying of the light') or a repeated musical phrase, a leitmotif.  'Finnegans Wake' (not that again!) features the literary equivalent of leitmotif, a technique I enjoy a lot.

Back to the phrase. I think it's a powerful one.  It's a compliment. If someone wrote 'He brought light in' on my gravestone, I'd be happy. (Well, strictly speaking, I wouldn't, because I'd be dead, but you get my drift) Please don't be tempted to get carried away with the idea, though. It's too soon.  I won't be needing one for a long time. Thank you kindly.

Back to life (back to reality). I watched the Mick Jagger documentary which I enjoyed a lot, then as I ate my dinner on my tod (Billy Nomates. (She's later on the Glasto bill, FYI)), I watched Arlo Parks.  Good set marred by her vocal being mixed too low. She's not a shouty singer so needs to be up in the mix. Just sayin'.

Sons 1 and 2 returned from Plymouth looking knackered.  I bid them goodnight then headed up for the last chat of the day with Q, followed by reading, music and sleep.

LFO / 'LFO' / 'Frequencies'


[[A bit of an 'oldie', but I heard it on the radio this morning and still love it, as I did when it was first released back in 1990. BTW, take note of the 'lyrics']]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020