Lockdown Diary - Monday 4th May 2020

Another Monday.  Weather looks OK, so I'm going to strip my bed and get the bedding washed and change to something new for tonight. The excitement is beginning to mount.

A slightly different Monday, only adding to the rising level of excitement: I had a trip to my GP to deliver a sample, gift-wrapped, sort of.

Very brief trip out over, I returned home to start setting up the living room for yoga and get the laptop logged in ready to Zooooooooooooooooooom!

Yoga is now over until Wednesday, unless I go crazy and do a second session this evening, however, thinking about it, I cannot. Tonight is book club night - yay! - and we'll be discussing 'Ghost Wall' by Sarah Moss. I can't say anything more about the book until we've discussed it and I've written my review on goodreads.  Looking forward to seeing everyone and discussing the book over a glass of wine or three 😁

The most important thing about today, so far, is that it is the anniversary of the publication of James Joyce's magnificent masterpiece, 'Finnegans Wake', on 4th May 1939.  I'm currently 466 out of 493 pages through it, at the beginning of Book IV part 1 (in the original text the four parts of book IV are compositional rather than visible in the text: the 'restored' edition makes these parts explicit. When I have time I should investigate the validity of this change - what's the evidence for it being intended by Joyce?)

Made lunch with second son and afterwards decided I would celebrate the 'Wake's birthday by finishing reading IV.1, maybe even go further, though I ought to finish my 'Intro to Psychotherapy' homework first, so that I can do lesson 3.

Homework complete. About to start lesson 3 which is titled 'John Bowlby and Relationship Styles'.  I have to confess I've never heard of Mr. Bowlby, but I'm about to. See you on the other side.

Well that was really fascinating, relationship theory aka attachment theory is something to investigate further, and I've finally learnt the difference between a Clinical Psychologist, a Psychiatrist and a Psychotherapist, and no this isn't the intro to a joke, just something useful I've picked up on the way 😀

Son #2 helped me change my bed, an offer of help I was happy to accept. I've also brought the washed bed linen in and all but one item is fully dry. 

Carers have been for the final call of the day and Bear is set up for the night.

Only about 75 minutes to book club and but first I'm planning to have my dinner and re-watch the episode of 'Devs' I fell asleep in last night: my meds just knock me out a couple of hours after taking them.

Another fun book club and everyone seemed to have thought 'Ghost Wall' was a good book.  Just need to find the time to write my review for goodreads, though I think I'm going to read the brief opening chapter again to see what light it casts on what followed.  Our next book, which I'll start reading tomorrow, is non-fiction: 'Three Women' by Lisa Taddeo. I remember reading the reviews of it when it was published a while ago and they were overwhelmingly positive and it created quite a stir.  On the dust cover it says: 'Three Women is a record of unmet needs, unspoken thoughts, disappointments, hopes and unrelenting obsessions.'  If nothing else, I'm going to learn a lot and, as the saying goes, you're never to old to learn.

Feeling pretty tired, I cleared up the kitchen and then got myself off to bed to read and sleep.  Work tomorrow, so I need to get up reasonably early.

And now for something completely different: Holy Fuck with 'Neon Dad' from the album 'Congrats'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021