Lockdown Diary - Sunday 3rd May 2020

Lie in, briefly punctured by the arrival of first of the day carer entering the house at around 7am. Gradually woke myself listening to Radcliffe & Maconie, then got out of bed, opened the curtains and let the light in. No turning back now.

A brief period of internal argument ensued: shall I run or shall I leave it? Not so sunny this morning. Looks like rain.  Oh, sod it, just do it. Having lost or won the argument, depending on your perspective, I threw on running gear and started doing warm up exercises. (Sometimes I think that's the most de-motivating part: Having to warm up your muscles first, when you just want to get on with it and get running, elongates the process so much that it's off-putting.  I do accept warming muscles up is essential, I just get bored doing it.)

To cut a long story short, I did run - a little bit further and a little bit faster, which was good, and - good timing, or what? - just as I was warming down there were a few spots of rain. 

After running, I readied myself to face the day and 'made' myself breakfast - Almond Croissant and coffee which is a Sunday 'treat', even if a little less healthy than porridge and fruit. Put washing on then sat down and did our online shopping order for next week.

The new Hi-Fi gear, especially the new speakers, means I'm thinking of albums to listen to again. Everything's taken on a new lease of life and I want to see how different albums sound, explore the sound stage and just listen to what can now be heard. All things being equal, given there's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, I'm hoping to listen to some or all of the following this evening: 'Solid Air' by John Martyn; 'Stormcock' by Roy Harper; 'Songs' by John Greaves; 'Live at the Chicago Theatre' by Todd Rundgren's Utopia; and, lastly (as if!), 'Good Souls Better Angels' by Lucinda Williams.  I may need to add one or two of the remastered Can albums in to that mix, but we'll see.

'What about the papers?', I hear you cry.  Indeed, the papers, but before I can read more I need to hang the washing out. According to the BBC website it's gonna stay dry now, so I can do it safe in the knowledge that it won't rain, or rather safe in the knowledge that if it does rain, it's because the forecast is wrong. Again.

Plans completely derailed: got washing hung out then helped two out of three sons to make lunch for us all, then, just as I was on the fruit course (!), the phone rang and it was my mother-in-law.  One hour and fifteen minutes later I managed to finish my apple, banana and orange (eaten in alphabetical order).

I think I'll return to the papers now, though there is a danger I'll be interrupted by my father-in-law, as Sunday is his favourite day to ring too.

As if I willed it to happen, mid-paper read, sure enough the phone rang and it was my father-in-law and his wife. I have to speak to both of them, one after other, thus it is ordained.

After 30 minutes of conversation, in which I've answered the same questions as I answer every time we speak, it draws to a close.  I notice time is marching on - soon it will be the final carer visit of the day so I must read more of the 'Wake and get stuck into book IV, which contains some of the most beautifully heartbreaking writing of the entire book. 

More tedious chores done, I will soon move on into the music phase of the day.

(I should add that the fruit was eaten in alphabetical order coincidentally, in case you should think I'm the sort of nutter that can only eat food alphabetically (spaghetti aside).  There is logic to the order, as they are eaten in ascending order of strength of flavour / taste, but the alphabet plays no part in the sequencing.)

Final carer visit complete - it's time for music!  Started listening to John Martyn's album 'Solid Air' and I was so blown away by how good it sounded, I listened to the entire album. I won't go on much more other than to say that the detailing of the different instruments and the breadth of  his vocal sound, made me feel like I was hearing it for the first time.  I also listened to some John Greaves and Lucinda Williams before it was time to do dinner.

The rest of the evening progressed like a snowball gathering size and momentum as it rolled downhill and before I knew it, it was at the bottom and it was time for bed (said Zebedee!)

Only one artist and album could fit the bill: John Martyn and 'Don't Want To Know' from 'Solid Air'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021