Lockdown Diary - Sunday 10th May 2020

After my rant about gardening yesterday, there was only one logical thing to do today. Yep, that's right, gardening. I've always taken great delight in the reconciliation of opposites or, at the very least, holding two contradictory positions at the same time.  The meandering path between opposing poles is the most interesting one.

Gardening, then. After the dramatic changes resulting from the hedge-man's efforts yesterday, I decided to go further and chop down two other overgrown features that blocked the view from the kitchen window.  Filled the garden waste bin and cut my finger on some bamboo (I bloody hate bamboo, virulent bastard stuff), which went through some heavy duty builders gloves, as if they were cotton.   It is a truism that you haven't really been gardening unless you cut yourself, at least once. As I cut through the stuff it did cross my mind that a flame thrower might be more effective, though it could have negative consequences for the fences and other plants I might wish to save, so perhaps is not that good an idea.

The trouble with all the clearing I've done on the former central island is that it just scratches the surface - to fully return the ground to lawn-capable is going to take a lot more work, even if I go down the weed-killer route, which I'm not that keen on.

Gardening behind me for another year (joke! I may have to finish what I've started, if nothing more), I have returned to the weekend papers and, in particular, the Arts/Review sections.  

Papers done for another week, so it's time to read both book club books: luckily one's fiction and the other's non-fiction, so it's easy to separate the two.

Managed to squeeze a haircut into my fun-packed afternoon, with a bit of final tidying up with the help of son #1. Much appreciated :-)

It's been two whole days since I managed to carve out some time to immerse myself in music, but now I have wine I intend to rectify that, before I get stuck in to making dinner with son #3 ('I am not a number! I'm a free man')

After listening to Julian Cope and Isobel Campbell, it was time to make dinner with son #3: on tonight's menu is Sea Bass, yay!

TV tonight will be episode 1 of the latest series of 'Killing Eve', let's hope this series captures the spirit of the first. After TV, the usual sequence of events leading, eventually, to sleep.

A complete change of mood.  A track that inexplicably didn't make it onto the original 'Overkill' album, but was relegated to a 'B'-side, here's Motorhead with 'Nightmare' featuring some brilliant psych guitar from Eddie Clarke.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020