Lockdown Diary - Thursday 7th May 2020

Today is a better Thursday than average lockdown Thursday, as tomorrow is a Bank Holiday, making this the last working day of the week.  Hooray! Better still this means I have a 4-day weekend, which I'm really looking forward to - lockdown or no lockdown.

Work has dominated the day, as it usually does, so I don't have much to say about the day so far.

Shortly, at 6pm, I'll be joining the latest drinks with The Idler - tonight Will Hodgkinson, music journalist is the main guest. Should be good.

Another enjoyable spent in the company of poets, philosopher's and writers - next week it's the turn of Sally Philips and Jane Bussmann, can't wait. I'm settling in to these Zoom calls with 100s of strangers and participated in the chat, hard not to when music is the topic. One woman liked my suggestion of BC Camplight's new album as one of the albums to listen to in lockdown times.  There's no accounting for taste!

Big success of the day - I'm well chuffed - was that I got back to the beginning of 'Finnegans Wake' tonight, ready to around again...soon.  I love the final section of book IV, it contains some of the most moving writing, as Anna Livia realises she is dying, for example: 'For all their faults. I am passing out. O bitter ending! I'll slip away before they're up. They'll never see. Nor know. Nor miss me. And it's old and old it's sad and old it's sad and weary I go back to you, my cold father, my cold mad father, my cold mad feary father, till the near sight of the mere size of him, the moyles and moyles of it, moananoaning, makes me seasilt saltsick and I rush, my only, into your arms.

Watched the penultimate episode of 'Devs' then the usual, 'Eat. Sleep. Repeat' cycle continues.

Given there's a full moon tonight, I thought I'd play 'Come Sta La Luna' from Can's album 'Soon Over Babaluma' as a tribute. I love Can, and this one of my favourite tunes of theirs.


[[~]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021