Lockdown Diary - Friday 22nd May 2020

Was up by 6:25 this morning, but not early enough to walk before the first carer call of the day, which is usually bang on 7 on a Friday.  In all honesty, this was deliberate: I awoke with pain in the right-hand side of my left knee cap (the 'bad' leg), so I decided to rest it.  I've done 30+ minutes brisk walking on four consecutive days, which, given my knee / calf muscles were already giving me pain, was probably pushing it. Which reminds me...

Whatever exercise I do, it's always all or nothing with me, and I tend to push myself and think, 'well, x does that much, so I can too', never taking into account they might be fitter, younger, or whatever.  Our yoga teacher is always reminding us it's not a competition and we shouldn't be comparing each other (not to mention most of them are women and they have an advantage when it comes to some of the hip opening poses), and I'm always conscious of the fact that I always push myself - if there's a harder extension to a pose, I have to try it.  As it's Mental Health Week and the theme is 'Kindness', then, for a change I'm giving myself leave to not to push myself today, but think 'I've done pretty well so far, I can build on this'. Besides, it's Friday and there's wine to be drunk.

Before the wine can be poured, however, I have work to do, and that will consume most of my waking hours.

A couple of friends have been in touch again on FBM, which is always heart-warming. One asked me for some book recommendations, which I naturally obliged with, though a risk I wouldn't take. She's also just started watching 'Twin Peaks', which is one of my absolute favourite TV series, so we've been discussing that. It makes me want to watch it again myself.  The other friend has just gone back to work in a garden centre and tells of people not understanding social distancing - I'd've thought that's the perfect opportunity to demonstrate the uses of pitch forks. Get back you plague-ridden bastards 😈

It's getting for 6pm now and my motivation to work is waning. It's been a long day and I've been drawing a diagram for most of the day - hopefully it captures everything it needs to, then all that remains is for me to 'wire' it up. 

A parallel process in my brain has been rapidly cycling through an idea, which is almost certainly foolhardy, but which I'm almost certainly going to execute. I'm sure it won't have the desired outcome, but then again if you do not try, you cannot succeed. Damned if you do and damned if don't.

Wine is open and poured. Things can only get worse! Should help me make the dinner though: several days ago, son #2 asked if I could make Spag Bol as we haven't had it in ages. Tonight's the night. Got all the ingredients and I'm gonna start chopping onions at 7. There won't be a dry eye in the house.

Son #3 has been helping prep the veg and other ingredients as I do my 'sorcerer's apprentice' pot stirring. Or should that be three witches from 'Macbeth'? ('Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble', anyone?) Nah, I can't be three witches - warlocks to the lot of ya!  

As I stir, I'm thinking for all the shit there is, I'm well blessed having my three sons - they keep me sane when I try and go off on one.

Spag Bol was pretty good, though I do say so myself, the only thing it was lacking was the dash of Worcestershire Sauce, which isn't in our cupboards. Next time!

Watched another episode of 'His Dark Materials': much discussion about who remembers what (if anything) from when I read the entire trilogy to sons 1 and 2 back when they were still young enough to be read to.  I used enjoy reading to them, especially as they got older, because every now and then I'd start a discussion about why did Philip Pullman use that word rather than another, or what a particular word meant, or even a discussion about the philosophy of the story.  It will come as no surprise to know that sometimes they got fed up with my digressions and just said, 'Dad!, Please read the story!' You can lead a horse to water...

I was contemplating the music I've been ending my posts with and wondering if I'd not touched on any genres I enjoy?  Dance/Electronica for starters, hence this: 808 State from the album 'Ninety' (or '90' if you prefer), this is the album version of 'Pacific 202' (there are so many remixes etc...).  Fond memories


[[]]

[[Less than zero]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020