Lockdown Diary - Monday 3rd August 2020

Monday, bloody Monday. The day before, and all that...

Early start in order to be up, showered, dressed, and fed & watered in time for a 7:30 a.m. mindful meditation session over Teams, for a change. This is the first of these that I've been able to attend since they started doing a month or so back, and it was a good way to begin the day.

It lasted about 45 minutes, including the group discussion amongst the four of us at the end.  It's a weekly offering from Talking Therapies and I'll probably make it a regular thing from now on, spaces permitting.

Next big item on the agenda is yoga at 10 a.m. - I've got a bunch of things to organise / set in motion before then.

Yoga's done. Another quite intense session, with quite a lot of my least favourite thing - balancing poses. I am working on my balance separately, but I think it'll be a while before I can play the flute standing on one leg.

A chunk of the afternoon was taken up with taking all three sons for their first dentist visit in some time. Unfortunately our dentist is not within walking distance and would be quite complex to get to by public transport, so I decided to be chauffeur.  Getting out of their drive proved to require a complex reversing manoeuvre, including a 47-point turn. A process not helped by the car's collision warning system bleeping all the time and braking because all the bushes on the drive are overgrown to depth of 2 to 3 foot.

Home for a rather late lunch and disruption caused by me having to chase around after an urgent prescription for my wife, that in the end seems to have been forgotten by the GP.  Won't be getting it tonight now, but I've chased the matron, to chase the GP, to send the prescription to Boots, so hopefully we'll get it tomorrow.

I managed to find some time to read more of 'Machines Like Me' but not quite finish it, as planned.  Guess I'll finish it whilst I'm at hospital tomorrow morning.

Book club night - my first for a while as July's meeting was on the day of my surgery - and we're going to discuss, 'My Sister, The Serial Killer', tonight. Could be interesting, as I finished it around the middle of June, so I'll have to dig back through the memory. 

Good catch up with the book club - 9 or so attended - including a couple of new members and some interesting thoughts and discussion on the book. 

(That reminds me: I also need to write my review of it, now we've discussed it) 

At the end of the meeting we voted on the book for October, (September's, which, I now need to start reading, is 'Kindred') which will be 'The Hunting Party', a murder mystery.

I keep meaning to pick a track from this album by the great John Moore, and it appears that the hour has come.  This is, perhaps more appropriately than I realise, 'Philosophical Man', from the album 'Knickerbocker Glory'  


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021