Lockdown Diary - Saturday 8th August 2020

Saturday again, so I got up early in order to go food shopping - this week accompanied by son #1, which is quite unusual, but nevertheless welcome.  One of the benefits of this shopping trip is that we both had a bacon sandwich, which is one of the best ways to start any day.

Returned home to the usual set of chores, livened up today by me attempting to blind myself with liquid washing detergent.  I had just filled one of those plastic, open-topped balls with the liquid, and somehow it slipped out of my hands.  It landed base down on the floor, and, in accordance with Newton's law, the liquid responded with an equal and opposite reaction to shoot straight back up into my eyes.  Thanks Newton! Not. After hastily washing them repeatedly in water and removing my contact lenses, things seem to be getting better.  And for my next trick...

Saturday is a also catheter flush day, so when the carers arrived for the lunch call I donned the disposable apron and gloves and set about the task, which takes about 10 minutes, give or take. It's my one opportunity a week to pretend to be a nurse, though not dressed in blue, nor having the skills to do anything more than this one task. Delusions and all that...

Another job that took what was left of the morning was changing 50 or so website passwords, which are apparently 'compromised' according to Google.  In my defence, I can only say, 'it wasn't me guv'.

Lunch with all three sons over an episode of 'South Park' - a pleasant break from changing all those damn passwords.

After lunch I spent another hour or so changing the remaining passwords, until finally the job was over!

I managed to find time to read one column in the Guardian magazine and a couple of pages of 'Useless'.

Does anyone remember 'The Banana Splits', a children's TV show from around 1968 to 1970?  I think a joke on FB reminded me of the theme tune, something I've never forgotten, and which I've handily included below both for the fun of it and also as it may provide some context for what follows.  Looking at it now I'm thinking that LSD must have been freely available in LA back then.  I don't think it really struck me then, maybe I was just too young.  The video quality is awful, but here's the theme tune - once heard, you'll never get it out of your head.


The show is one thing, but it turns out that last year they released a movie based on the series, simply called 'The Banana Splits'. It does feature the same characters, but with one big difference - it's a horror movie! Prepare to have your childhood memories smashed! Here's the trailer: enjoy!  


No time to listen to music as it was time to get tonight's curry sorted, I prepped the rice and son #3 did most of the rest.  

It is, of course, the now legendary film night.  Tonight it's son #1's choice and he went for 'What Happened To Monday' (aka 'Seven Sisters' in some countries).  It's a dystopian Sci-Fi tale set at a time when population growth has become the number one problem.  I'll not say much more than that because I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone who chooses to watch it.  It's not bad,  a six or seven out of ten, and stars Willem Dafoe, Glenn Close and Noomi Rapace (you probably won't recognise her name, but you will have seen a film she's in!)  It's set 50 years in the future, but I must admit at times I did wonder how long it will be before something like this is reality, quite a depressing thought.

After all this trippiness, I figure I have to choose a song that's equally trippy, or at least has a fairly trippy video. And so it came to pass that The Supper Furry Animals moved among us.  From the album 'Phantom Power', this is 'Golden Retriever'  


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020