Lockdown Diary - Thursday 27th August 2020

Despite this being another day of leave, I was up even earlier than yesterday. What's the reason for this insanity, you ask? Well, Thursday is cleaner day and she seems to arrive at around 10 to 7 of late and so I prefer to be up dressed and exercised before she gets here.  It also means I have more time to do the things I want to do, which, for today, means reading, continuing my Mulesoft revision (work), watching lesson 2 in the 'Idler Guide to Jazz' course and sorting some admin out.

I've just finished a Signal call with my mate in Berlin. We chatted about what's happening in the US, the UK and Europe and also our local areas. He tells me he is building up a stock of wine and - especially - whisky, ready for when Brexit finally becomes a reality and the price of such spirits goes through the roof. His house has a really nice cellar, perfect for storing such things, though he was a bit coy about the exact number of bottles of whisky: he said a friend had been surprised when he thought there were 12 bottles, but apparently the true number is greater than that. I don't think he and his wife will run out of alcohol in 2021! When I visited them around this time last year he had some amazing whiskies in the cellar, which of course we had to sample, so what the collection is like now I cannot imagine. 

One thing I've been coordinating this week has been getting NRS Healthcare out to repair / replace my wife's air mattress. As she is bed bound, spending about 99% of her time in bed, the proper working of the air mattress is vital to help prevent bed sores.  Over the past few weeks the carers and I had noticed it didn't seem to be inflating properly especially in the middle (where it's most needed) and at the head end.

In theory it was all arranged so that NRS would come just as the carers hoisted my wife out of bed and into her special chair. Come the day and the care agency say they've still not heard from NRS to coordinate this. I attempt to call them and find their phone system appears to be down. Repeated attempts result in the same outcome: 'There is a fault'

Come the hour the carers arrive and still no word. They confirm that their office has still heard nothing and that their attempts to call have had the same result as mine. They get my wife out of bed and into the 'chair'.

I figure it's time to ring again and at last I get through. Turns out there's been a fire in their control room and all systems are down, but luckily - I guess from a paper-based system - I'm told they are due to call. I then explain that the carers are here right now and will leave in 15 or so minutes, once they've re-installed my wife back in bed, unless the repair guy arrives soon.  They attempt to call the man and get through, he's apparently '1 minute away'.

Turns out the man has had lessons from son #1 in the art of time estimation, thus it was that about 10 to 15 minutes later he arrived. Luckily the carers were happy to wait, and just as well.  It transpires that 3 of the cells of the mattress have pin-hole punctures and have to be replaced: good job it was only three, as he only had three spares with him. We are all grateful to the man though, as he has fixed the mattress and the difference is immediately obvious. Problem averted.

All three sons plus #1's gf head off to town to get their hair cut (excluding the gf), so I've made myself some lunch.  They won't be back before 3 p.m.

Only sons 2 and three return home at around 3, as son #1 and gf have decided to spend some time in town.

I hope they are under cover as just after 2 and 3 returned the wrath of the gods descended upon us. Thunder and lightning (not very frightening, so stop that thought NOW!) and a deluge. Cats, dogs - the lot.

The sieve has landed. Professional, or what?

We're all off out to the local Italian restaurant, partly to celebrate son #3's university place, and just generally to all be out together as it's such a rare occurrence. Great meal and wine - came home feeling suitably happy, despite. 

And now for something completely different. I don't recall where I heard this, though it was quite recent - I hear so much new music it's not always easy to keep track (that's my excuse) - but however I found it, I like it.  

Unusually, for me at least, I like the video as well - I think the woman moves with a fluidity and grace that is rather mesmerising. Back to the music (you see what happens with videos, damn it!), which is a nice slice of slow Techno from the always interesting Bureau B record label in Hamburg, Germany.  The band or person - I know not which - is Tolouse Low Trax and the tune is called 'Jumping Dead Leafs' (sic) from the forthcoming album of the same name. (That grammatical error - deliberate or not - will bug me ('How Sweet to be an Idiot')) (Note also that they spell the word 'Tolouse' in their name in that way, not as the city in France is named, in case you thought I should have been sic twice)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021