Lockdown Diary - Saturday 31st October 2020

To add a bit of variety to life I'm joined by son #3 on our weekly shopping trip.  Increasingly it's starting to seem like shopping is an expedition to a territory filled with hidden dangers and unexpected discoveries again. That sense of risk-taking is heightened by the news that our ersatz-prime minister-cum(mings)-puppet is due to make an announcement later today that will probably proclaim an immediate lock down for up to 4 weeks. Frighteningly, he seems to be the last person to realise it's needed, despite the fact that SAGE have been saying so for weeks and the numbers have clearly indicated something needed to change.

Sorry, I had intended to write about the shopping trip, but my mind wandered to the experience, as it is lived today.  I have to say I'm heartily sick of Johnson's ineptitude and his cabinet of moronic yes men and women, especially given the damage he is doing to the people and the country.  It's hard to believe I'm about to write this, but Theresa May actually seems to have been a better PM, despite having the personality and soul of a black hole.

Shopping. Really. Son #3 is only back for a brief weekend interlude, before going back to some intense reading and essay writing, one which may be a long-term stay away (oh no, I'm going there again - STOP!) and so shopping includes vital supplies for the student life, like bog rolls and cider. Makes sense to me. A highlight of Saturday shopping is always the bread stall in the market, both because of the amazing bread, cakes and pastries and also because I usually chat with the girls that run the stall - real people, in real life - bloody hell! Mind you, bloody Doris will probably put a stop to that. Sorry!

It's also Halloween today, which I'm quite partial to. We all sit down and have lunch together whilst we watch horror film 'The Conjuring'. Gets us in the mood for the evening.

On the off-chance that trick or treaters might arrive, I make a half-hearted attempt to spook things up with an illuminated pumpkin on the porch and a couple of lanterns, along with a spider's-web bowl of sweets (I really can't bring myself to call them 'candies', it would be a step too far).  In the end only the evening carers end up taking any sweets, 'cos not a soul, nor even a soulless entity, darkened our doors.

It's dark out now and time to take son #1 and his gf to the station so she can go home to be ready for work tomorrow. As we head into town we see a few people out for one of their last chances to eat or drink out for a while, but no families trawling the streets in ghoulish garb.  Before son #1 accompanies his gf to her train, we say our goodbyes and she says it may be her last visit for a few weeks, which I hadn't thought about until she said it. Son #1 returns and we head home, pursued as we have been on almost every recent trip to the station by an ambulance in full blues and twos mode - we make way to let them pass and then carry on as usual.

Time for some relaxation. Glass of wine and book club novel 'The Many', which I must finish.  Perhaps its the day, but I almost thought it was going to have a suitably folk horror ending, but instead it weaves left and dodges that trope, which I was glad of.  I can't say more until after book club on Monday though there is much to say. Book finished, it's time to make dinner.

Curry and film night, with it being my turn to choose the film ( I did try and persuade son #3 to take a turn as he was making a guest appearance) but he insisted on deferring to me. It's Halloween so it's got to be something from the horror genre, hasn't it? 💀👻👹🖤🎃 Being a big folk horror enthusiast, I chose 'The Blood On Satan's Claw'. I've been wanting to watch this film for ages, but there's never been a right time for it, until now. 


It's a great film which manages to create a real sense of evil, despite being older and without special effects.  I will watch it again soon. The cast includes quite an array of British film and TV actors and actresses, for those of a certain vintage, some of whom are uncredited. Linda Hayden (above) is mesmerising as the far-from-angelic Angel Blake and other familiar faces included: Michelle Dotrice (Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em) playing a witch!; Robin Davies ('Carrot' in 'Catweazle'); Wendy Padbury (Patrick Troughton's assistant in 'Doctor Who'); Geoffrey Hughes ('Coronation Street'), who was uncredited; and many more.

Another new song I heard on BBC6 Music at around 7 a.m. this morning was, the appropriately-titled-for-today, 'Monsterpiece', by Raf Rundell. It's a single though there may be an upcoming album either way, Raf is also a member of The 2 Bears along with Joe Goddard of Hot Chip, and a DJ, so he has some 'pedigree' in the dance genre. This manages to be funky in a dub-style with a nice psychedelic instrumental breakdown in the middle. (Someone reckoned it's a flute, I don't think it is, but what do I know!)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020