Lockdown Diary - Saturday 20th March 2021

Saturdays are a major let-down these days. No work, which is nice, but nothing really to fill the void, except for chores and when they are exhausted, there you are stuck inside your own head, with no company other than your own rampaging thoughts, hellbent on maximum damage. Ever was it thus.

Given the above, you'll forgive me for not being overly thrilled by the prospect of Saturday and feeling that the best thing would be not wake up again until Tuesday again (at the earliest) when I can do the work thing all over again. Round and round, hamster trapped in the wheel, not knowing why it's doing it other than because it's what it does. Cue The Stranglers.

The day passes as predictably as it seemingly always does, though I don't know exactly where the time has gone - I haven't read the papers; I haven't read any of my book club book; and I haven't stopped and listened to any music.

A chunk of the afternoon was spent on the phone with my mother-in-law, a regular weekend occurrence these days.  As she often reminds me, I am the only person she speaks to all week sometimes.  In a more perfect world she'd have her daughter to speak to, but the world isn't and she has to make do with me instead. Something like an hour passes, maybe more: distraction therapy.

Son #1 and I have a long chat about Student Finance, life, the future path for both of us, taking in economics and politics, and so on. More distraction therapy.

I am trying to lose some weight. A stone would be amazing, though maybe too much, but all the things I have cut out so far seem to have made little difference. I've reduced the portion size of my breakfasts - less fruit with my porridge. I've only been doing it a week, so maybe too soon to tell.  Cut out bread for lunch during the week, been doing that for two weeks now. Lost 1lb. FFS!  I suspect the thing I really need to cut out is alcohol, though mostly I only drink at the weekend.  It's a tough one - I'm sure it accounts for a lot of calories, but I don't have the desire to cut it out completely, though I could.  Right now it would be difficult, as it's a form of escape from reality, though I think I may have been overdoing it.

Curry and film night.  Son #1's film choice and he goes for another Guy Ritchie film, 'RocknRolla'.

'RocknRolla' was a enjoyable film. It ain't gonna change the world. If you've seen pretty much any Guy Ritchie film, this one would have come as no surprise, but for all that it was funny, engaging and, though you knew a twist was coming (it's a Guy Ritchie film, FFS!), it was at least slightly askew. Casting Tom Hardy as a gay crook was a masterstroke.

After that sleep, at last.

Billy Mackenzie / 'At the Edge of the World' / 'Beyond The Sun'

<

[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020