Lockdown Diary - Sunday 18th October 2020

Looks like I have a typical Sunday ahead of me: nothing planned; a few chores to do; papers to read (yesterday's and today's); other stuff too boring to mention.

Early afternoon son #2 informed me that he and son #1 are going out for lunch with friends, so I decide to get out and go for a walk for 30-minutes plus, just to make sure someone's here at all times.

Knock up some lunch for myself - beans on cheese on toast, a favourite lunch that I've not had in ages. Might as well indulge. Mind you I had probably taken the indulgence a bit far today: I bought a cream-filled apple turnover from the bread stall yesterday and I decided to have that afterwards.  I am lactose-intolerant but the cream apple turnover used to be my favourite pastry.  Before eating it I took about 700 lactase tablets and roughly the same number after.  It was absolutely wonderful to eat and no side effects, so far.  I'll probably not have another for about 10 years, but as a one-off indulgence, it was good.

Late afternoon my sons returned having enjoyed the burgers they ate at TGIF.

Some reading later - finished the papers and progress 'Ulysses' - it was time to make dinner: curry delayed from Saturday night. As I was serving dinner son #2 informed me that they'd not be eating with me as they were playing some game or other.

Instead of watching something together I watched the Sky Arts documentary, 'White Riot', about the musical movement, 'Rock Against Racism', which was set up to counter the upsurge in the National Front. It's a timely reminder of why I don't give houseroom to either Eric Clapton or Rod Stewart.  Luckily Bowie repented and made amends: his remarks about a 'right wing dictatorship' were much influenced by his extreme cocaine usage and his flirtation (?) with (Black) Magick at the time of the 'thin white duke' period. Great documentary and reminded me what a great music paper the NME once was.

I've been further revisiting Van Halen's first two albums, post the death of Eddie Van Halen.  In sharp contrast to The Clash et al on 'White Riot', though recorded and released at around the same time, this is 'On Fire' from the first album, simply titled, 'Van Halen'.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020