Tales From The Crypt - New Year's Eve (Friday 31st December 2021)

The last day of the year! 2021 is finally coming to and end, an as it does so, Covid seems to be imposing itself on life again.  For the second day in a row I've taken a lateral flow test, primarily to be on the safe side but also because been invited to a New Year's Eve party and I don't want to go there if I've got it.

Started the day with an old favourite - a shopping trip, accompanied by son #3, primarily because the supermarket is shut tomorrow and so there are no deliveries.  The trip was also an opportunity to pick up E's and my meds from the pharmacy - mine were particularly important as I'm away for much of next week and would have run out of sertraline whilst I am away.

After that the usual stuff to do, including packing a case for a night away, but before that a friend and I are going out for a meal at the local Italian restaurant with the boys plus son #1's gf.

Due to various logistical considerations, we arrived at the restaurant ahead of the boys, and saw a group of three friends on arrival.

After the meal the boys went home and we went on to the hotel we are staying in after the party.

The thought of tonight's party has been troubling me all day: on the one hand, I really want to go because I know it will be immense fun, great food, great company, music  and dancing, but on the other, there will be lots of people there I don't normally mix with, all within a relatively small space, getting more relaxed (i.e. drunk) as the evening wears on. Although everyone who is going will have done a lateral flow, that isn't a guarantee and, given E's vulnerability I can't afford to catch Covid. If it was just down to my health, then I'd be more inclined to go, I never like to turn down a party, but I must always take extra care and choose the sensible option.

In the end, after consultation, I decide we'll not go, and phone the party's host to say we'll not be coming, which was a difficult thing for me to have to say, given how much I was looking forward to it.

We decide to make the best of plan B and enjoy all the evening has to offer, only on a more limited scale.  We saw in 2022 and eventually, after meditation, I retired. 

Ed Dowie  / 'The Obvious I' / 'The Obvious I' 


[[ ]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020