Tales From The Crypt - Bloomsday (Thursday 16th June 2022)

Today is a double celebration. It's the day E will come out of hospital (at last) and it's also Bloomsday.

Our cleaner arrives around 7 a.m. and, as I'm not working, I got up before that, but not too much, so that once she starts cleaning I start getting ready in time to read 'Ulysses' when the action begins, at around 8 a.m. on this day in 1904. Most importantly, I will be sporting my Bloomsday t-shirt throughout the day. It has to be done.  (On seeing the shirt son #2 remarked, 'Is that a new shirt?'  I replied, 'no, I've had it for two or three years'. 'I've never seen it before.'  'Maybe that's because I only wear it on one day a year?')

As it will be tedious for you if I regale you with all my readings and Bloomsday activities; so suffice it to say I will be celebrating fully. There are deliveries to arrive during the day related to the centenary of the novel this year. I may mention those. Of course, no day is complete without washing, so I'll be doing a fair bit of that too.

At lunchtime, the hospital calls to say E is on her way home in the ambulance.  Time to get organised.

At last, E is home, and shortly after the ambulance departs, the carers arrive and settle her in properly.  That's much better. She's looking well (as well as she can, at least) and seems OK.  I will keep an eye on her for the rest of the day and tomorrow morning before I head for the south coast.

In the afternoon a delivery arrives from Blackwells containing a copy of 'The Cambridge Centenary Ulysses: The 1922 Text with Essays and Notes'.  It's a rather large book, with essays, maps and notes, published today to coincide with Bloomsday.  One thing I'd not realised when I ordered it is that not only does it have all the above, but it's a facsimile of one of the first 1000 copies (#876) printed by Shakespeare and Company in Paris.  This means it has the original text and layout as it would have had if I'd bought a copy in 1922.  Bloody brilliant! I am well chuffed.


Bloomsday continues!

Early in the morning Q and I had a conversation which went on to the subject of the poet John Clare.  I mentioned that there were several poems of his that I liked, and also that another favourite author of mine, Iain Sinclair, had written a book describing a journey on foot he took from Essex to John Clare's former home in Northborough (near Peterborough), mirroring the journey that John Clare undertook (and wrote about) in 1841. John Clare was fleeing an asylum in search of his lost love, Mary Joyce, who'd been dead for three years. I thought I had a copy of Sinclair's book, titled 'Edge of the Orison', and quickly found my copy and started to read it.  I had forgotten how much I love Iain Sinclair's writing, both fiction and non-fiction, though I especially enjoy the psychogeography books, like 'London Orbital'.


After the final carer call of the day (it feels good to have them back!), son #1 gave me a quick haircut, I spoke to Q briefly, then joined the Idler drinks Zoom call with Sandor Katz talking about fermentation.  There was a good post-chat chat with Idler friends, with lots of chat about the upcoming Idler festival in London when some of us will meet for the first time.

As the chat drew to a close around 8 p.m., son #2 started making our dinner.  Son #1 and I ate together, watching a new comedy show which included comedy favourite Reginald D. Hunter.

The evening drew to a close in the usual way, a brief chat with a very tired Q, word games, reading then music courtesy of BBC 6 Music. It's bloody warm tonight, and humid, so sleep may be challenging.

The Screaming Blue Messiahs / 'Sweet Water Pools' / 'Bikini Red'


[[Great band name. Great song. Should be played very loud.  Those are my guys!]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020