Lockdown Diary - Friday 3rd April 2020

Work is still quite hectic, so I've failed to go outside for a walk again today, but I have managed to maintain my daily meditation for 20 minutes.  Over the weekend I hope to do a bit better, assuming it isn't wall-to-wall rain, snow, locusts - I haven't stopped to look at the forecast, so who knows in these biblical end of days times.

Things I've learned from lockdown, so far:

1. In lieu of buying a really good coffee from a well-known coffee chain every day (oh, jeez, I'd really love a decent flat white), I have finally learned how to make the best coffee using our Nespresso machine: firstly you need two capsules not one; next you need to choose the small cup setting, to get the intense espresso flavour; finally you need to add less frothed and warm milk, so the ratio is maybe close to 50:50 between coffee and milk.  Then Voila! A decent coffee hit. And no, it's not too much caffeine? Bouncing off the walls? Just my natural exuberance. Honest. 

2. Working from home is very different to working from home, when all you can do is be at home, all the time.  Those little trips to buy a coffee, paper, some fresh food, before you start the day are very precious and should not be taken for granted.

3. Music is key to maintaining my sanity. To be honest music has always been one of the keys to my ongoing existence since as far back as I can remember, but this has served to underline it. (I think I already knew it, but it's been confirmed in this 'live test')

4. Lots of jobs can be carried out equally well from home. We don't need to make all these damn car journeys that are polluting our air and contributing to the destruction of our planet.

5. We need other people. We need to talk to other people.  Video calls are better than phone calls. Seeing someone's face whilst talking to them is so much better.

Gotta psyche myself up for tomorrow's weekly shopping trip. I never enjoyed it before, it was just a chore to endure and get over and done with. Now it comes with the added worry of not getting what the family needs, having to spend ages queuing and the risk of catching the Corona virus. A form of Russian roulette?

An appropriate song for these times, from Juniore's recent album, I've chosen 'En Solitaire'...


[[[I've listened to their new album, 'Un, Deux, Trois', several times now and it still seems very slender, content-wise. I like their sound but it does seem both derivative and also like a pastiche.  Only time will tell. ]]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021