Lockdown Diary - Monday 6th April 2020

Monday off to a flying start: managed to phone the GP surgery and get through a mere 10 minutes after it had opened (unheard of), spoke to a GP within the hour, and they've remotely tested my urine over the phone, I've tested positive and the antibiotics prescription is winging its way to Boots electronically. How's that for action!

Success on the GP/prescription front meant I could attend the morning's yoga class, which really sets me up for the week. Glad not to miss it, even though I'll know about it when I wake up in the morning. (Hips. Hip opening exercises. These are all very well, but if you are male, your hips really don't have a natural reason for being that wide. Just saying.)

Done all the usual things that need doing on a Monday, so I won't bore you all by going through those again, see previous posts for a 'fix', if you really need it.

Tonight is book club night, but, of course, it can only be virtual book club night, 'cos all us 'Caversham Critics' are holed up in our homes, so...Zoom to the rescue. Normally book club is held in one of local 'spoons (though I'm not so sure we should go back there, post-lockdown, given that it turns out that Tim Martin is an even bigger bastard than we thought he was), naturally alcohol is required to recreate the normal book club atmosphere and ensure the appropriate level of loquacity. Tonight we're going to be discussing 'Convenience Store Woman', by Sayaka Murata.  Once the dust has settled I will write a review for goodreads. Betcha can't wait 😉😉

First book club over Zoom, and it worked well.  I think we all managed to create something of the pub atmosphere by drinking together, apart.  Unlike the pub there were plenty of seats, we all could fit round the table and hear one another and no one telling us that book club was 'too noisy'.  Move along please.

In the euphoria of the moment I have ordered the sci-fi book as well as the next 'normal' read, so I'm going to have to read two books over a fairly short period (one is thankfully very short) if I'm to keep up.  Probably will have time as I'm not planning to go anywhere over the next few weeks.

A friend commented on a previous post that more people should hear Steely Dan (see yesterday's listening) and, not being one to turn down a friendly request as well as being a fan of quite a few of their albums (not sure about those from 'Gaucho' onwards, but maybe I ought to give them a listen), that's who I'm going for. I've chosen a track from 'The Royal Scam', which wasn't that well received on release, but which contains some damn fine songs, including 'Don't Take Me Alive'.


[[O]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021