Lockdown Diary - Thursday 9th April 2020

Last working day before the long Bank Holiday weekend and four days annual leave.  Consequently, as always seems to happen the day before a break, it's been really hectic, trying to get important things done so I can forget them for a week.  This also means it's been another day without a walk, unless you count hanging out the unexpected wash load caused by the problems outlined below. I do refuse to lose my meditation break, though, so I did find 20 minutes peace.

The challenge of getting stuff done has not been helped by the fact that my wife seems to have a UTI, which meant contacting the Community Matron to get the GP to prescribe something then asking another favour from a family friend who is able to help us out here. (You know who you are, thanks again for your help 💜)  Shielding is pretty difficult when you need to get things.  I also successfully flushed my wife's catheter again, and, yes, I do want a medal! (My wife's favourite retort when I said I'd completed some task/chore/job used to be: "What do you want? A medal?" In 31 years I never once received a medal, which is exactly as it should be.)

I was supposed to be enjoying a drink with The Idler this evening over Zoom, who are running an online discussion between the editor, Tom Hodgkinson, the actor Dominic West (of 'The Wire' fame) and philosopher Mark Vernon, however when I tried to join, bang on 6pm, I got told it had reached the maximum 100 participants, which is a shame as I had a (free) ticket to the event. Freddie the freeloaders, I guess.

I'll have to do the next best thing, then.  Listen to music. Loud.

Hold that music! There were Zoom technical problems and I'm now in The Idler Zoom session - no Dominic West this week - but some lively chat and food for thought. There's another next Thursday with Guy Watson from Riverford which should be interesting.  Dominic West maybe the week after.

I started reading the next book club novel, 'Ghost Wall', by Sarah Moss last night, and, carefully avoiding saying anything too specific that might be read by another club member, it has a dramatic, if brief, opening chapter! My lips are sealed. (Funboy Three, almost!)

Chose the tune today in a different way: looked along the shelf in front of me at the stacks of CDs (CDs to the left of me, CDs to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with me) and this album leapt out at partly because, in its devil-may-care way, it was askew on its pile.  'Supernova' by Amplifier from their rather excellent album 'Trippin' with Dr. Faustus' and beyond that, I shall say no more.


[[Still waiting for your call]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021