Lockdown Diary - Sunday 26th April 2020

I've done it again!  Only further and faster.  My second successive run (next one should be Tuesday, 'cos I'm doing yoga tomorrow morning and I don't think I could fit a run in unless I get up really early (Tuesday will be a challenge as it's a working day. Nevertheless if I plan to do it, I'll do it.))

Spent about 10 minutes warming down after the run by walking and doing stretching exercises.  I was about to sit on the bench outside in the sun when I noticed it was filthy, so I ended up washing it down so I can sit on it later and maybe read the papers in the sun.

Whilst getting ready post-run I was mulling over my current approach to re-reading 'Finnegans Wake' and came to a decision: I'm going to read to the 'end' (there is neither an end nor a beginning, strictly speaking) without referring back to explanations of the chapters after I've finished them. (The book is like the Circle Line used to be - you can (if you choose) just keep going round and round, as the book is a cycle - like the water cycle/hydrological cycle (literally, on one-level) for all you meteorologists!)) Once I get to the end/beginning, I'm going to read the chapter glosses first, then read the chapter itself, though this time probably reverting back to the original version I first read all those years ago; in fact, probably my original, battered, paperback copy.

Unfortunately life isn't all fun and games. More chores to do today. Washing again, damn it.  Probably going to do a 'deep clean' of the shower/en-suite, though that is going to take some will power to get me motivated (I am missing my cleaner's weekly visits) to start it.  At the very least I'll have to find some music to listen to whilst doing it, or I'll never get started.

{<Nerd> One of the 'benefits' of the decline in civilian air traffic is that military aircraft are no longer confined to their usual radar corridors and TACAN routes, but are being given direct routings under civil control. This has meant that in my home location, which is smack bang underneath controlled airspace and a multitude of GAT airways, there have been more military overflights than normal (there were always very occasional flights).  Today an RAF C17 out of Brize Norton flew directly overhead (en-route to Turkey or Cyprus?) and in the past few days a pair of USAF KC135 air-to-air refuelling tankers, en-route to a refuelling mission over the Atlantic, flew to the north of here, but clearly visible, and many more besides. So far no fast jet traffic, though a pair of Typhoons + tanker came close, so who knows! </Nerd>}

Read some of the weekend papers and then it was time to make lunch, before I could finish.

Read a bit more after lunch until my sister (big) phoned for a chat.  Three-quarters of an hour later, call over, I decided I'd better go and clean the en-suite/shower plus my bedroom, deadly dull and only made tolerable by the copious addition of music on random play.

I've finished cleaning and vacuuming now and, as the sun will soon (well, OK, not that soon but it is after 6pm) dip below the yardarm, I'm drinking wine. The carers are here right now, which means I can't really settle until they've done what needs doing and set my wife up for the night (night bag, PEG pump loaded and programmed etc etc).  Once you become dependent on carers your house is never quite fully your own - they can get in the house without me letting them in, for example if I'm particularly deaf, though normally we act out our roles whereby they ring the bell and I welcome them in, like a dutiful host.

They've finished and now left.  Couple of pages of III.4 of the 'Wake and then music, I think. (The rest of the papers will have to wait 'til later tonight and/or tomorrow)

The evening pans out as usual, making the dinner, an episode of 'Twin', clearing up, reading then sleep.  Repeat.

BC Camplight with 'Am I Dead Yet?' from the album 'Deportation Blues'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021