Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th September 2020

Started the day by taking son #3 food shopping ahead of moving in to his uni flat at lunchtime.  Apart from kitting him out with lots of essentials for cheap meals, I also bought him three ready meals for the first few days, on the assumption that he'd ease himself into uni living but also saying he wouldn't be able to afford to eat like that the rest of the time.  He also went armed with beer and chocolate biscuits as a good way of getting to know his flatmates.

When we returned from shopping it was time for him to finish packing then see if it all fitted in to the car. After doing the bulk of the packing and realising we would have room for son #2 to come along and help, it was time to give my wife her cards and presents to celebrate our 27th anniversary.  It was especially good this year as when I reminded her of things from the day and also events leading up to the wedding, such as when she was getting fitted for her dress, she smiled and seemed really happy to recall those days.  Moments like these are few and far between these days, so I was especially moved by her obvious joy at remembering the day.

Son #2 had organised the card and presents from my wife to me: he does such a good job at organising these things and I know it must be hard for him.

Just as we were about to leave, son #2 got a call that he had to take. Afterwards he told us some fantastic news: he'd been offered the job as an apprentice cybersecurity technologist. He'd been interviewed on Wednesday and they'd said he wouldn't hear for 4-6 weeks, but the company were so impressed by him they offered him a job immediately. I am so proud of him: he's worked so hard, on his own, to learn about cybersecurity and to develop his CV and interview skills. No time to celebrate, though. Time to take son #3 to uni!

Car loaded with bog rolls, booze and boys: time to depart.  I have to admit I'd not been that impressed with the arrangements made available before arrival, so I was pleased to find that what was in place on the ground was so efficient and well organised.  Bit of a palaver getting the keys in these days of coronavirus - clean hands, turn in a circle three times whilst reciting from the catholic exorcism ritual, then clean hands again - but after we had the keys, we picked up a trolley and headed for his flat for the first of several - lost count - trips from the car to the flat to the car to the flat...

Finally the car was empty and it was time to at least help him get his food and cooking stuff away.  In theory we were only meant to stay on sit for a max of 45 minutes, but after an hour or so, we all felt it was time to say goodbye. Son #3 hugged his bro and then me and we left him to get on with unpacking whilst we returned home.

When we got home I congratulated son #2 on his success, gave him a big hug and told him how proud I am of him.  All three sons have had a tough adolescence, effectively losing their mum, and being stuck with me as dad and surrogate mum. I know it's not been easy for them and they have paid a price for it.

In the evening son #1 returned home from his week with his girlfriend. As he'd missed his bro leaving he came home via son #3's flat having stopped to see how he was and what the place was like.  Apparently son #3 is off out to The Purple Turtle with the rest of his flat block. A new chapter begins here.

After such an eventful day, there's not much to say about the evening, other than that son #2 went out to celebrate with his mates and son #1 retired relatively early 'cos we're off food shopping tomorrow morning. I cannot bloody wait.

Almost went with Joboxers 'Just Got Lucky', but I figure I'll save that for an even more auspicious occasion... Instead, for my film-loving sons, I've chosen Big Audio Dynamite's E=MC2, a song which is an homage to the films of director Nic Roeg. This song still sounds great to me today. Love the film references in the lyrics!


[[Not only did B.A.D feature Mick Jones from The Clash, it also featured the four / three guys who formed Dreadzone - I'm counting Don Letts as a sort of extra member as he has had a strong association with the band for years]] 

[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020