Lockdown Diary - Thursday 10th September 2020

Up on the dot of 6 to ensure I'm up and fully ready by the time the cleaner gets here at around 10 to 7.  I need her to clean my office early in the cleaning process so I can start the penultimate day of my training course at 8 a.m.

Training was interrupted mid-morning by a call from an old friend. Unfortunately she was calling with the news I'd been dreading to hear: best man at our wedding and longstanding friend - we've known each other since 1988 - has died.  He had been diagnosed with leukaemia in the summer of 2019, and though he'd had chemotherapy and the cancer had gone into remission, it had returned and this time was not treatable.  He was given six weeks to live, but actually lived a lot longer, to the point where you started to believe that maybe there was hope.  It was not to be.

That news cast a long shadow over the day. I told my sons as he was godparent to one of the twins, and has been part of their lives since they were born. I also have to tell my wife, though I need to find a good moment - one where she seems alert enough to take it in and also a time when I can be around to see how she reacts, so I can support her as best I can.  Not only was he our best man, but he was also instrumental in us meeting in the first place.  I must admit the news has hit me quite hard.

There was more training until around 5 p.m. when it was time for me to set the living room up for yoga before attending the Idler drinks (with only water as a drink for a change) with author and Penguin Classics editor talking about Charles Dickens. Another interesting talk which I had to leave early in order to be Zoomed and ready on my mat at 7 p.m. It was another good yoga session, though I definitely prefer doing it in the morning as they was less active time to fully soak up the benefits.

I've not really had time to fully come to terms with the days sad news as I've just been so busy, which may be a good thing.

Dinner was ready almost as soon as I finished yoga, and then we were watching episode 5 of 'The Bridge', before the usual evening tasks took over.

Back to 1988: Cocteau Twins, 'Cico Buff' from the album 'Blue Bell Knoll'


[[]] 

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020