Lockdown Diary - Sunday 27th September 2020

When I got up the sky was quite overcast, but today has turned into something much better - there was broken sun this morning but this afternoon the sky has cleared and it's been sunny for a while now.

Putting aside the boring chores, I have managed to finish 'The Time Machine', read today's Observer and finish the previous issue of The Idler, which is a result.

I still have 'The Hunting Party', the current issues of The Idler and Private Eye and 'Ulysses' to read though, however I can't read all day, I'd get bored.

Luckily, I think that's the right word, son #3 has been keeping me busy with questions about using the washers and driers in his uni flat not to mention telling me that the company that runs the flats is planning to take their first, hefty, payment tomorrow.  I don't think son #3 had fully grasped that when there's a pending payment you either have to have the money or an overdraft to cover it, otherwise things get nasty.  After a Skype call where he casually mentioned the impending payment, I hastily transferred him a lump sum to cover the gap between what they wanted, and what the student finance maintenance loan covered.  I've now realised why it's called a lump sum: it's because when you make the transfer it brings a lump to your throat. 

All being well, we'll be making another run to Kendrick Hall this evening to deliver letters, the first book he needs for his course (assuming Amazon delivers in time), plus an assortment of other items and take away the duvet/bedding that he's not used and that they won't take back because he unwrapped it before he noticed it was the wrong size.

Amazon delivered at a reasonable time, so son #1 and I are off on a quick delivery and collection run to son #3's flat.  Hopefully he is sorted with stuff for a few weeks now, at least.

On returning home via an aborted attempt to buy fuel (big queue, automatic machines only) it was time to make dinner.  Son #2 and I got things going, then he took over for most of the rest of it, with occasional help from me.

We watched another episode of the 'The Bridge' then events took their usual course. I need to get up early enough to have eaten breakfast and be ready for meditation practice with the NHS at 7:30 a.m.

Something very recent: 'Way Down' from Yello's latest album, 'Point'.  It's a strange album.  Many of the songs seem to be on the verge of going in a certain direction, but then they don't.  Whilst it has little in common with dub reggae, the songs make a lot of use of space and gaps, in the dub stylee. An intriguing album.


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020