Lockdown Diary - Saturday 19th September 2020

Usual lockdown Saturday bollocks which is so mundane that it's all the synonyms for dull and routine, only even more so. After such an eventful Friday, I guess it would be hard for the day to match up. 

The highlight of the morning was taking son #1 to the dentist to have a filling.  This may even turn out to have been the highlight of the day, but let's not jinx it before it has had a chance to blossom in to its fully fecund voluptuousness. (Ha bloody ha)

Lately I've been feeling very restless and today more so than normal, to the extent that I can't sit still or settle for long, which is a pain as I have a lot to read and a lot of music to listen to (even more now after our anniversary). I cannot find any enthusiasm or interest in any of these things.  I know this inability to concentrate or find any interest in things I normally enjoy is a warning sign and somehow I have to find a way out of it.  

I now have a small. but growing, list of things son #3 needs for his flat that we didn't think of: bath mat, waste bin, more hand towels etc. Looks like a delivery run is on the cards for Monday, once the Amazonian gods provide.

Curry and film night and it's son #2#'s choice, no idea what he's going to choose.

He chose the film 'Requiem For A Dream', which is based on a Hubert Selby Jr. novel of the same name - Hubert Selby Jr. being most famous for the controversial novel 'Last Exit To Brooklyn'. What can I say about the film? For starters, I can't precisely pin down how I feel about the film: it was very well acted, but I can't say I enjoyed it as it was desperately sad to watch the characters destroy their lives whilst pursuing their dreams. What promise each character had was extinguished, one step at a time. It was incredibly bleak. I guess it's central theme was addiction, mostly drug addiction, and it captured aspects of drug addiction in a way that was frighteningly real. The restlessness of the lead character's mother as she got hooked on 'diet pills' prescribed by some kind of doctor, was disorientating: the diet pills she was taking were clearly some form of amphetamine.  I think you'd really need to be in a really 'up' state of mind before watching it.  It is probably the most soul-crushing film I have ever watched, though at the same time incredibly powerful.

This has been playing in my mind off and on for the last couple of days, though I've chosen a live rendition rather than the album track. This is Little Dragon performing 'Killing Me' live on Seattle radio station KEXP. The song is from the album 'Nabuma Rubberband'  


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020