Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 17th September 2022

A mixed day in prospect: I have all the usual things to do, but unusually I'll not be heading to the south coast today. In fact, Q and her daughter are initially heading 'oop north, to Liverpool, taking their cat to a cattery in Birkenhead.

The snowball is gathering momentum.

Shopping first, while the washing is underway, returning in time to hang it out, just before the carers arrived and before sons 1 and 2 headed to Bristol with friends.

I am home alone. Sort of. Not for long though, as I have to go into town to pay a cheque in while the bank's open (don't ask, it's a long story (or it is when I tell it) and no, I can't pay it in via an app which I'd normally do).

I'm going to get the bus into town (cue 'The Inbetweeners') - at least that way I can read.  Driving is a real distraction from a book.

Q and I chat while she's driving up the A34 and I'm heading to the station.

Most pleasingly my bank visit was successful, and afterwards, I get the urge to buy a new pair of trainers.  Trainers bought, I find myself near Waterstones and, well it would be rude not to go in.  As I went in I resolved not to buy any books.  

I was doing very well, having toured the non-fiction sections downstairs, I thought, 'well, I'm here I might as well go and take a look in the literature section upstairs.' As it turned out, this was my mistake.


Oops.

I resolved not to go into any other 'dangerous' shops, such as record shops, instead visiting Boots and Sainsbury's for things E needed.  

Q had suggested I should go for a coffee as part of my 'self-care' approach, but as I explained, I find it very difficult to relax when I know E is at home alone. Much as I'd love to have drunk a coffee whilst reading, I decided to get the next bus home.

Whilst I was sitting on the bus, waiting to leave, a family got on - three young boys, a husband (very smartly dressed) and his wife. His wife, probably mid-late thirties was on an electric mobility scooter.  She looked a little uncomfortable but managed to get herself from the scooter onto the bus seat. From the way she moved, I wondered if she had MS or something similar. It was a very touching scene; she and her husband seemed close, laughing and joking. I felt great empathy and compassion for them. Initially, the boys sat upstairs but came down as they got close to their stop.  The boys all helped and were very protective and supportive of their mum. Marvellous.  I wanted to say something but feared that what I could say about E, and our situation wouldn't help, especially if she was still coming to terms with the changes..

Back home for more things to do, including clearing the jungle from around the gas and 'leccy meters ahead of being fitted (up?) with smart meters.

Q's dropped Bagheera off at the cattery and is now back in the university's lodge with her daughter before heading out for some dinner.

Sons 1 and 2 are still out, which means I can have dinner as early as I wish and sit down to watch a film of my choosing.  I'm in the mood for something entertaining without demands on my remaining brain cells, and I settle for 'The Bourne Ultimatum', which I have never watched.

Not long after I started the film, the boys returned from Bristle. I watched the rest of the film, which I enjoyed - it certainly fit the bill.

To bed, via more conversation, reading the papers and music.

Goldie / 'Inner City Life' / 'Timeless'


[[So many songs to choose from at the moment, but this one has been floating around my head for the past week or two.  

Still love this - it takes me back to when E and I saw Goldie supporting Björk at Wembley]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020