Tales From The Crypt - Thursday 8th September 2022

Last working day of the week for me, so I'll be even busier than usual.  The cleaner arrives early, and the heavens are currently disgorging their load. Looks like it's going to be one of those end-of-summer, start-of-autumn days.

It's also a significant day for me as Q has started her journey back from 'Straylia, the first and longest leg being Perth to Doha and she should arrive while I'm fast asleep or at least while I'm meant to be.  The final leg from Doha to London begins in the early hours of Friday morning.

Worked until just before 6 when I joined the Idler friends call.  It is great to have them in my life.  A lot of us have already booked for the Idler Festival in London next July and hopefully, Covid permitting this time, I (we) will be there.

I'm a very lucky man.  A good friend delivered medication for E and me and, not only that, took away some of the mountain of unused and unwanted medication we have built up over the years.  I am really grateful for this kindness and one day I will find a way to repay it.

During the Idler call, we heard that the Queen had died. This is sad news though not unexpected, based on how frail she has looked, even since the Golden Jubilee. Realistically speaking, if you take away all the trappings of the monarchy, she is an old woman. She was 96, she'd not long ago lost her husband ('her rock') of however many years, so it's not really surprising. She couldn't have lived forever, after all. For many couples the death of a longstanding spouse, especially if they were happy together, is the beginning of the end. Without Prince Philip, the weight of responsibility on her shoulders must have been too great. She has served well and for a long time, she saw her Golden Jubilee celebrations and probably the timing was right. She is an icon permeating the life of the United Kingdom. There will never be a monarch like her again, that's for sure. 

Much shenanigans around dinner tonight, resulting in yet another takeaway. I will be taking up a job with Goodyear in 2023. I do like flying.

Warpaint / 'Hips' / 'Radiate Like This'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020