Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 3rd September 2022

A fairly standard Saturday: usual stuff to do enlivened by convos with Q and a brief video call with some of Q's family members.  They were in a pub in a place called Mingenew, which is not pronounced as you might imagine, thankfully. Not only that, I will refrain from making any of the obvious jokes.  A close shave indeed.

Later in the afternoon, as the sun sets on Western Australia, I attempted to settle down to read the papers, starting with an interview with Ian McEwan discussing his latest and, perhaps, most personal novel, 'Lessons'. I say 'attempted' because in a house currently teaming with people it's difficult to find peace and comfort at times.  Mind you, I wouldn't have it any other way, a house bustling with life is an antidote.

Earlier in the day, I learnt from son #1 that they are all off out tonight (all except son #3 and his gf), so once they all start getting ready I take the opportunity to listen to another album from end to end, this time Soccer Mommy's 'Sometimes Forever'.  I managed to hear it all as son #2 took over making dinner and banished me from the kitchen.  Glad he did, as it's a great album with every track taking intriguing musical turns (guess that may have at least something to do with the producer, Daniel Lopatin aka Oneohtrix Point Never, who plays synth on most tracks)) and also being lyrically powerful, if at times pretty dark. Some of the songs will inevitably appear here.

Five out of seven of us ate together, though we didn't really watch anything much until they left the room to start getting ready when I started watching 'Hawkwind: Solstice at Stonehenge 1984'. Nik Turner!!! I didn't manage to watch it all, I'll save that pleasure for another day.

Instead, to bed, papers, BBC6 Music and a wish for sleep.

Rayland Baxter / 'If I Were A Butterfly' / 'If I Were A Butterfly' (forthcoming)


[[I almost ended up selecting a Soccer Mommy tune here, and you know I try and avoid the song here being referenced in the words above, though it is always good to break your own rules, because, after all, they aren't really rules.

Out of the blue, I heard this song on the radio.  It's the first song in a good few weeks I've heard by chance that's stopped me in my tracks.  

Until now I'd never heard of him, though apparently, he's the son of Bucky Baxter who's played guitar in Bob Dylan's band and also for Steve Earle, whoever he is (😉)

rayLand (as he sometimes styles himself) is allegedly an alternative country musician, a phrase that generally strikes the fear of God in me, though thankfully I don't detect any country in this song. Despite that fact, I may have to give the album a listen when it comes out.

I'm not sure about the video, though!]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020