Tales From The Crypt - Tuesday 13th September 2022

Back to work after my early morning walk!  Usual working day rules apply.

Son #2 and his gf are off to Bournemouth for the day, and I hope the weather is better there than it appears to be here.

Work rules the day. OK?

This week's poem is Sonnet 29, and whilst I don't fully understand all of it, I do get the gist of it and find it resonates very strongly.

When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
       For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
       That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

Annoyingly the grammar checker wants to correct Shakespeare, but I won't let it.  Grammar checkers (and spell checkers) are the enemy of creative writing. Not that I'm suggesting that my blog is, but I reckon the Bard does fall into that category.

After work, the usual tedious stuff about shopping and dinners (who's here when etc) ensues. I have a card up my sleeve. (No wonder my arm is itchy)

Over dinner, I watched the end of the documentary on Central America, covering El Salvador and finally the pacific coast of Costa Rica. Fascinating.

Son #2 and his gf arrive back, somewhat drowned not long after son #1 and his gf have headed to Ministry of Sound, so I guess they'll not be back until well into tomorrow. Diccapilly Circus comes to mind.

Reading; chat; reading; music; sleep. 

Jürgen Paape / 'So Weit Wie Noch Nie' / '20 Jahre Kompakt/ Kollektion 2'


[[This track came up while I was listening to my 'Liked Songs' playlist on random play, and it struck me as it must have done when I first added it, though I don't remember adding it.]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020