Love, Poetry and Revolution - Sunday 19th February 2023

What a glorious start to the day!  The sun is out and it feels good.  There will be no excuse for not walking today.

Usual crap to be done, naturellement, but that's the last your going to hear of that. 

The first thing I do (after getting out of it) is to strip the bed.  I am getting things done today.

Once I've read 'The Observer', I decide I should walk before eating lunch as I've read that if you exercise first you're more likely to lose weight.  As that's a mission I'm on, that's what I'm going to do. 

I'm going to listen to the RTÉ reading of 'Ulysses' as I walk in the sunshine.  I'm not a fan of audiobooks, as I don't feel I've read something unless I've ranged my eyes on the page.  For this reason I'm only listening to episodes once I've already read them (even though I have read them all before, multiple times).  The beauty of the RTÉ version is that the readers are all Irish and so the words, especially the Dublin slang, are spoken as a Dubliner would. Not only that, but each character is read by a different actor. It's bloody brilliant!

I walked briskly for over thirty minutes as Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus walked around Dublin. Part way through 'Lotus Eaters', as Bloom headed for the Post Office on Westland Row, I got the chance to speak to Q, which made a great walk even better.

Home now and time to make lunch.  No one else has surfaced fully yet. over lunch a watch a documentary on the 'Carry On' films, called 'Carry On: Secrets & Scandals'.  Two things emerged: Peter Rogers was a miser and the actors were ripped off, often left in penury whilst Rogers was a multi-millionaire.

Shifting tone a little, I finished reading the 'Proteus' episode of 'Ulysses' and then started learning more about Aristotle and other more obscure thinkers of the 1900s.  'Ulysses' has so many references and allusions to other culture, it is incredible. Mind you, 'Finnegans Wake' is even more densely allusive.

Both sons are up and they help me to change my bed, in particular to rotate my mattress, which can be done by one, but it's so much easier with two.

Unusually, tonight is curry night, and son #2 makes it after I started it. I watched the BAFTAs, mainly because I didn't want to start anything new and didn't know who'd join me in front of the TV.

De La Soul / 'Eye Know' / '3 Feet High And Rising'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020