Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 17th April 2023

Monday in Liverpool.  Roadworks outside. Cloudy sky.  After breakfast together, Q heads off to work and after washing up, I begin by reading 'Cyclops'.

By way of a change of pace, I go outside to hammer the new washing line all the way into the ground.  Once I found some wood and the sledgehammer, this process became much easier.  The difficult part had already been done, that is making it vertical, and so brute force was all that was required. Such a brute 😂

Returning to 'Cyclops' and finishing it in plenty of time for Wednesday's lecture.  At the heart of the chapter are explorations of Irish nationalism and anti-semitism, culminating in Leopold Bloom (who is an Irish Jew) being chased out of the pub by 'the Citizen' and his dog. It is a fascinating episode with two challenging elements: it gradually becomes apparent that the episode is being narrated by someone who is present in the action, but unnamed; and, the action is littered with sections parodying different forms of writing from legal-ese to mock-heroic and many styles in between.  There are abundant jokes and puns too.

After meditating I made lunch, whilst catching up on BBC6 Music stuff via the BBC Sounds app.

'The Observer' is next on my reading list, followed by a minor adjustment to the hinges on a bathroom cabinet. Variety is the spice of life.

Settling down with another cup of coffee I begin a marathon catch-up of MAFSA episodes. There are some very deluded or manipulative (or both) people out there.  'The ocean is calling me'. I think that's code for 'I am a dick'.

I am now fully MAFSA'd and can watch tonight's episode live if there's time.

Q returns home during my MAFSAing (I'm on the last of the episodes when she returns) and after it finishes we begin (well, mostly Q to be fair) to make dinner, Mexican-style.

After dinner, as I wash up, something unusual happens (at least as far as I normally experience at home), Φ has decided to make some cookies, inspired by a recipe from TikTok or Insta, or some such internet source.  Q and Φ are involved and once the cookies are in the oven, we retire to the lounge to watch tonight's MAFSA.  A very sad episode, for me at least, as the damage previously wrought comes home to roost.

Part way through the episode, the cookies are done, and so we each have one as a dessert, with ice cream. They are very good, still warm and very chocolatey. YYPB!

After MAFSA ends and a brief post-episode chat, it is time for bed.

the gasman / 'ruter' / 'Superlife'


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020