Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 22nd May 2023

I do like Mondays. Not working helps a lot. Today has multiple possibilities, let's see what unfolds.

The alternate plan sees me immersed in books again.  I've decided that my 'James Joyce' book case should hold all my JJ books, without 'edge-stacking', so a whole shelf, plus half of the remaining one will have to find temporary new homes. As I start to get rid of books I no longer want or need (all (will it be all?) the computer/IT books must go) space should be freed up.

I'm trying to narrow down the subject range that I keep books on, limiting it to my deepest interests, but when I stop to think about what this means, I'm concerned I'll have to keep most of them.  Books that are definitely going are as follows: IT and productivity related (FT!), novels I've read (and won't read again), novels I'm never going to read, and miscellaneous others. There may have to be an element of ruthlessness.

Over lunch I started watching another music documentary about the all-women US rock band, Fanny, titled 'Fanny: The Right To Rock'.  I recall hearing the band way back when, but they never really seemed to get the airplay they deserved. At the time they had three things that held them back: being women in the inherently sexist world of rock, racism (core members were Filipina American) and some members were Lesbian and told to hide this by their management.  Nevertheless, David Bowie was a big fan and they had many other supporters. Todd Rundgren turned up in the documentary as he produced their third album, 'Mothers Pride'.  The band have made another album and now have ageism to deal with.  Even if you've never heard the band, the documentary ranges much more widely than music and covers way more issues - watch it!


Back to the books, but this time finishing 'Circe' so I can read 'Eumaeus' by Wednesday evening.

Around half-four, with the end of 'Circe' in sight, I take son #2 to the dentist for a quick check on his removed wisdom tooth, before returning via the shops for some veg and to pick up son #1's meds.

I'm really pleased with the newly reorganised JJ book case.  All the books are visible and when I've finished using one, I can put it back and find it again. This is especially useful while I'm reading 'Ulysses' again.

Chatted with Q, made my own dinner, finished the 'Fanny' documentary, then started watching a documentary on Venice, with son #2.

Off to bed to speak to Q and read more of 'Eumaeus', the episode before the penultimate one.

Dawn Richard / 'Bubblegum' / (Single)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Tales From The Crypt - Friday 2nd July 2021

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021