Love, Poetry and Revolution - Saturday 10th June 2023

Usual start to a Saturday, only a lot warmer.

For some reason I've been pondering the word pulchritude.  It sounds like the least beautiful word for beauty that you could possibly imagine.  Guess I don't have any Roman blood in me.

Mid-morning things deviate from the humdrum.  We're going to the tip in the afternoon and so now, on the hottest day of the year so far, I'm disassembling an office chair, flattening boxes and sorting through rubbish in the garage.  Good planning. 

Around midday I'm joined by son #2 who helps me sort out more stuff and load the car.  He's accompanying me to the tip on what is the first of many tip trips this summer. Whilst we're sorting through the rubbish a Hurricane (I'm assuming of the BBMF) flies over while doing a flypast at the local carnival. No camera on me, of course. D'oh!

Back home now and time to make some lunch, before chilling for a bit.

Earlier in the week I mentioned I'd changed poems, 'The Coming Of Grendel' (an extract from 'Beowulf') was not for me. Instead I'm enjoying 'In My Craft Or Sullen Art' by Dylan Thomas, and it goes like this...

In my craft or sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart.

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Nor for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art. 

There is a great deal of power in these words and I love the 'moon rages' / 'raging moon' and 'spindrift pages'. Passion is at the heart of this.

I made the dinner and we all watched a 'HIGNFY' (brilliant, especially Nabil Abdulrashid, who was really witty and funny) then the last episode of 'Colin From Accounts'. 

Bed time and first night of the fan this year. 

Stevie Wonder / 'Joy Inside My Tears' / 'Songs In The Key Of Life'


[[For the benefit of Q]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020