Love, Poetry and Revolution - Wednesday 7th June 2023

Another working day ahead, but with some extra interruptions expected. In the end I did some weights rather than walk, for reasons too boring to elaborate.

After yesterday's concerns about E's coughing, the community matron visited first thing to check her over.  As is always the case, her cough was clearer whilst he was here, but most importantly there was no sign of anything on her lungs, so she must be OK. E's catheter was due to be changed tomorrow, but as he was here, he did that too.  That's good because it means there'll be less disruption tomorrow. Of course, as soon as he left, E's coughing worsened, but no sign of 'rattling' on her chest, which is good.

After all the above, it's hard to get my head back into work mode and to concentrate, but it is what I need to do.

On Tuesday night (yeah, I'm a bit late here) I decided that this week's poem, an extract from 'Beowulf', was so much not my cup of tea, that I needed to choose the next one, which is by Dylan Thomas. I know 'Beowulf' is a landmark text in the history of the development of literature, but it's too 'Game of Thrones' for my taste.

Tonight is the last 'Ulysses For All' after four months.  It's been an absolute blast (crazy mf) and the final episode, 'Penelope', is always a delight. Filthy at times, but joyous and life-affirming always. In celebration of Bloomsday next week and it being the last class, everyone in Dublin was dressed in Edwardian clothes and the speakers (all women, natch) who read from Molly's soliloquy (but not the rudest bits!) were dressed in that style. My only complaint, if I have one, was that the readers were all too old to be Molly and nothing like as sensual, but perhaps that was just as well. I am glad to have finished the book (again), but will miss the course and the people.

Afterwards, dinner with son #3 (cooked by son #2) and the final episode of 'Colin From Accounts'.  That has been so good. Can't recommend it too highly.

Beddy-byes!

Microdisney / 'Past' /  'The Clock Comes Down The Stairs' (Live in Dublin)


[[One of my favourite 'clock' tracks, a staggeringly wonderful performance too]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020